Love the runoff!

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
UncleD
Seadog
Seadog

Love the runoff!

Post by UncleD »

Headed out to Chambers Bay with good mate for our annual runoff trip prior to Easter and headed up to the main junction on the Wildman. We have had an epic session a couple of years back and although it's not been productive for us for a while, the exciting memories bring us back.

Settled down for the night and in that half sleep when we were woken by a serious crash into the boat and some frantic thrashing in the water. Mate though we had hit something (but we were firmly anchored) and I thought a rod had gone over the side (often leave a lure shaking in the current) but this was not the case that night.

As I started to wake up. I fumbled for the spotlight as the thrashing continued a meter or so from the back of the boat. By the time the light was on, all was quiet. We started to postulate what had taken place and settled on a croc having pinned a Barra against the boat.

It wasn't until I checked out the motor that I realised that something a bit more worrying had taken place. Where once a nice custom cowling cover with the name 'Barra Trauma' had been in place, was a deeply scratched cowling...the cover nowhere to be seen.

Evidently Mr Croc decided to have a crack at the motor and had pulled the cover off and had a feed on it. Thankfully the cover had come away and the teeth had not gained a good purchase on the cowling.

So I had lost my cover and the pristine cowling it had been covering now sported some good scars.

In the morning, the bugger was back and very attentive...surfacing a couple of inches from the boat and giving us a good looking over. A beautiful shot to the nose with the bottle sent him packing (bottle retrieved...leave no trace) however we decided to move on as Mr Croc clearly was a bit put out by our presence (courting I suspect).

All this on our first day...many other memories including a 108...but that's another story.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Giddy Aunt!
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Love the runoff!

Post by cuddlescooper »

Nasty stuff uncle D. I too had a croc being very friendly with me at the East the other night at Little magela. I was on my own in a 3.9 so needless to say I also packed up and departed. The bl..dy thing was hissing and rippling water off its back and coming up to the side of the boat. Was a little unsettling. Glad it didn't have a crack at the motor as yours did. Just curious was it a fullish moon? I have heard that crocs see the silloett (cant spell at the moment :banghead: ) and think that it looks like a animal standing there. This is why they seem to attack motors more than not.
Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ben Jam »

bl..dy hell uncle D that's Crazy.
----------------------------
-----------------------------
UncleD
Seadog
Seadog

Post by UncleD »

Very little moon....neaps.

Back in SA, sharks used to have a go at your motor if your prop was ticking over in the outgoing tide. My previous boat had some beautiful scars from a 4m+ Great White which 'investigated' the motor and other parts!

The fresh was running at the junction so there was quite a bit of current and crocs tend to be much more aggressive hunters than sharks.
My Giddy Aunt!
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

Scary stuff…
:shock: :o :shock:
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

ouch!
Banana Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Banana Man »

I bet there weren't too many sweet dreams after that episode! Good that no one got hurt or anything though
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

Man, that's nuts. Way too many crocs out there. I'm glad I upgraded to my Tabs 5.1 with higher gunnels. I reckon if it had happened to my old 445 Hornet Trophy, that it would have been it the boat! :croc:
... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{

My missus wants to buy me a GoPro...she said I need it... It's like a black box recorder for fishos...
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Very scary!
UncleD
Seadog
Seadog

Post by UncleD »

I have a Trailcraft 5.4 Profish which is a very solid boat with high sides. Not withstanding the aerobatic reptiles we have trained up on the Adelaide, I always figured that there was sufficient metal between us and those out to eat us. The height of those teeth marks puts anything close to the side of the boat within range so we literally laid low for the rest of the night.

When we became aware of him alongside the boat in the morning, the angle of his head and position in the water was quite unusual and looked very much like he was preparing to launch himself at us. His persistence at that point suggested that it was not going to be a one-off encounter so we left.

April is definitely agro month for crocs!
My Giddy Aunt!
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

bl..dy hell mate, good thing no one got hurt. They are angry buggers at times. Heard a few stories about guys snoring, apparently that's brings them in for a look. makes them want to know what the noise is I suppose, which is a worry cause at times missus reckons it's like laying next to a chainsaw
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
UncleD
Seadog
Seadog

Post by UncleD »

poop...snoring ya reckon? Between mate and myself we should have had the whole river of crocs trying to get in!
My Giddy Aunt!