Wyndham Mangrove Jack

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
blowski
Seadog
Seadog

Wyndham Mangrove Jack

Post by blowski »

Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone has any ideas when I can catch a few small mangrove jack around wyndham have a boat and access all inside the gulf, prefer not go any further than that, i know its easy to get barra but wouldnt mind catching a few mangrove jack but have no idea if they are inside the gulf area or if you only get them out side like the faulse mouths of the ord but thats to far.
thanks in advance. any tips would also be great

ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Wyndham Mangrove Jack

Post by ponyplay »

blowski wrote:Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone has any ideas when I can catch a few small mangrove jack around wyndham have a boat and access all inside the gulf, prefer not go any further than that, i know its easy to get barra but wouldnt mind catching a few mangrove jack but have no idea if they are inside the gulf area or if you only get them out side like the faulse mouths of the ord but thats to far.
thanks in advance. any tips would also be great
plenty small ones down false mouths lynn etc like ya said , herd of them being pulled out top durak and pentacost but thats not much closer than the other way. Wat ya want small ones for aquarium ? if so think pet shops may sell them
blowski
Seadog
Seadog

Post by blowski »

just a good feed have to bring some fish back to darwin and the guys are sick of barra! thought it would be something different but didnt want to travel miles out of the way fished canal creek and parrys creek alot and never had any mangorove jack so wondered if they were even around that way!!!
blowski
Seadog
Seadog

Post by blowski »

just a good feed have to bring some fish back to darwin and the guys are sick of barra! thought it would be something different but didnt want to travel miles out of the way fished canal creek and parrys creek alot and never had any mangorove jack so wondered if they were even around that way!!!
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

blowski wrote:just a good feed have to bring some fish back to darwin and the guys are sick of barra! thought it would be something different but didnt want to travel miles out of the way fished canal creek and parrys creek alot and never had any mangorove jack so wondered if they were even around that way!!!
catch big golden p o w e r t a i l and fillet it up nice neat, they will luv it if ya dont let cat out the bag
blowski
Seadog
Seadog

Post by blowski »

ponyplay wrote:
blowski wrote:just a good feed have to bring some fish back to darwin and the guys are sick of barra! thought it would be something different but didnt want to travel miles out of the way fished canal creek and parrys creek alot and never had any mangorove jack so wondered if they were even around that way!!!
catch big golden p o w e r t a i l and fillet it up nice neat, they will luv it if ya dont let cat out the bag
To tell you the truth bud. Fished wyndham for many years and never caught a big golden powertail! Fished everywhere for the farkers... Dunno what I'm doing wrong??? Maybe I'm in the wrong spots :(
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

just soak a big bait off the main flow and they'll come to you. btw fingermark are all over the show and eat as good as jacks I reckon.
Regards Dick
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

PS slip up to the loop or three ways for them fingermark but you can get them in the gulf. Have a shot at that reef coming out off the shore just south of Parrys
Regards Dick
blowski
Seadog
Seadog

Post by blowski »

Cheers dick much appreciated your a legend. I've fished the rocky outcrop down from party's but never had much luck, was soaking
Liveies do I need to go for a dead bait, I'll give the finger mark ago can't believe in all the years I've never pulled on fom parrys!!! But surely they are there if they are up at three ways
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

Nah a live bait is good for those golden powertails. They'll find it! btw I reckon the fingermark drop off once you get into that central gulf section around Wyndham. In 2000 AIMS did a study of the gulf, comparing the geomorphology of the eastern and western arms. They did a heap of turbidity measurements and I forget the proper name to describe it but that section of the gulf is where tidal flows kicks up the most silt compared to upstream and downstream. You might find that plug of really turbid water keeps the fingermark from coming too far into the area of the gulf in the same numbers as they can be found further out.
Regards Dick
blowski
Seadog
Seadog

Post by blowski »

Cheers dick very informative makes sence! See if I can land one of these big power tails might head out to canal creek and soak a big liviey in the middle of the creek
mike davis
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by mike davis »

have to agree with Dick the fingermark are doing very well at the moment...managed to land a few over the last four days out of wyndham fished mainly lacrosse to berkely
blowski
Seadog
Seadog

Post by blowski »

Don't think I'll be going that far out :( but thanks anyway
MikeEng
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeEng »

Parry's Creek always produces big powertail for me. Pull up at the mouth of one of the medium sized creeks and cast back out into the main section with a fresh strip bait or a live bait. Jewfish are a good chance doing that too.
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

Use a running sinker on your main line, peel off about 10-15 metres of line through the sinker, chuck out the bait until all that line is overboard. Then drop the sinker and line off the reel to the bottom Your bait should be floating off but near the bottom down current from you. Fish in freespool with the thumb on the reel to stop any overrun. That a pretty good presentation for those bottom oooglies. Plenty of other ways to do it but the idea is to keep the bait out of the mud but well down
Regards Dick