Middle Arm Fish ID + Trip

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
mickxx
Silver Member
Silver Member

Middle Arm Fish ID + Trip

Post by mickxx »

So after some very average fishing expeditions, a sore back from the old man and trailer issues all week including brakes, bearings and tongue as well as the young fella (5 years old) missing out on the family dundee biggest mackeral by 800g on the last day. We decided to hit middle arm for a bit of crabbing and lures Monday with Sth Alligator or shady fresh tuesday before he flies home tuesday night.

Problem was his flight was Tuesday 1am not Wednesday and we onoly found out by accident at 11am today which ruined his chances of abig barra. So at 12 we throw the rods in and pots out and go to middle arm. Never been there, went the longer way (cox >middle arm rather then through finns rd) got to the dirt heard a massive crunch, one of the bearings had completely sheered off and disintigrated. left most the tools required and spare bearings at home in a box that wetook to dundee and forgot to pack back into the boat, so 90 minutes later we are good to go.

see a big barra boofing 50-100m up from ramp, wrong lures (spinners from Dundee) on the rods so while i quickly tieing on some lures a small boat with 2 asian guys anchor up near it fishing for jewies/bream, no dramas didn't spook it, the old man has 1 cast and boom, see a 70-80cm barra leap from the air take 1 big run then spat the hooks.......

i lost 2 on plastics, he had a few bumps nothing major, saw a few crocs then went down one of the creeks near that island just down from the ramp and saw another big boof, told him where to throw and he is on again, 1 good run and as i go to net it i see colour and its silver but its fat as hell. Picture is deceiving that lure is a 8cm lure handmade. fish was 4-5 kgs.

not 100% sure what it is. It has rubbery lips, red lining on its gills and as u can see another gill slit. It came up as the photo showed but has gone grey/darker in the esky. Is it just some kinda sweet lip? and more importantly can i eat it? i rang a mate who was 99% Sure it was good eating but that bugger will eat turtles so who knows really.

what started as a crappy trip with bad news of my old man not being here for another day, and planning made it so he only got 1 half arse shot at barra in 10 days wasn't ideal. But he caught a bucket load of crabs, mackeral, saw his 2 and 5 year old grand kids for the first time in almost 12 months. got to see dundee, the war museum, vernons and the harbour and is already saving up for next year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Middle Arm Fish ID + Trip

Post by theodosius »

Mother in law / blubber lips bream I think. Cheers for the report
Polycrafty
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Polycrafty »

Caught one at Channel island when I was land based, don't think they are any good on the chew. Mate called it a rubber lip?? Not much help, sorry.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Nice size mum in law fish. A bloke at work caught a good one and slabbed it up not knowing what it was. He reckon it tasted ok.
Quinntreximon
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Quinntreximon »

Tastes like wet newspaper. Nice looking fish though
STOKESY77
Seadog
Seadog

Post by STOKESY77 »

Slatey Bream/Mother in law fish, tastes like cr.p!!
Give a man a fish, You'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, You'll feed him for a lifetime!
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

Yes Blubber Lipped Bream...also known as a "Slatey Bream". While its not good to eat it is great fun to catch...particularly on light gear. Found everywhere in the harbour and in surrounding systems.
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
Windy
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Windy »

Is that the same as Brown Morwong?
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Windy wrote:Is that the same as Brown Morwong?
nope. completely different. The "blubber lip" is a different species again to the slatey bream as well. this one is a Blubber Lip.
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

cuddlescooper wrote:
nope. completely different. The "blubber lip" is a different species again to the slatey bream as well. this one is a Blubber Lip.
Damn it Cooper stop messing with my view of the world! It's a bl..dy slatey bream cos it's slatey and breamish. now push off and fish or something!
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Mud wrote:
cuddlescooper wrote:
Damn it Cooper stop messing with my view of the world! It's a bl..dy slatey bream cos it's slatey and breamish. now push off and fish or something!
I will in 4 days when I finish work. Then it will be time to hopefully slap a fish or two! until then nah nah! :drinking3:
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

*sigh*
Just checked the grants.
Yes it's a blubber lip bream (brown sweetlip)
No it's not a slatey bream (thicklip bream, painted sweetlip)

Slap a horse!!