18 barra, not a bad days fishing!!!!

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
newfisherman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

18 barra, not a bad days fishing!!!!

Post by newfisherman »

18 barra, not a bad days fishing, but I did not catch them so I can’t post great photos or tell stories of great battles and talk about the one I lost at my boat. I did find the evidence but, more than 18 carcasses with the fillets removed dumped near my house in the bush on one of my usual arvo runs with my dogs. Shame,as about a 3rd are undersize and this gets me thinking, seeing as this fisherman took undersize fish, then there is a fair chance they busted there bag limit too. Disappointing to see really considering there is a lot more pressure on fisheries these days due to the increased popularity of fishing and more boats and people etc etc. So was wondering do people always fish to their bag limit and fish size, go over, or under and take just enough for a feed or two and some for the neighbour?

And also if anyone dumps there dead fish carcasses in the rural area could you chuck them away from tracks and not in plastic bags as the bags don't shrivel up in the heat!!

theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: 18 barra, not a bad days fishing!!!!

Post by theodosius »

I might take 2 Barra home from a trip (if I get 2!)
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

I only fish for a feed...

Went out about a week ago, caught two nice sized goldies in an hour in the harbour, that'll do! Called it quits, home before lunch time!
Had a fish, gave the boat a run, got dinner.... Perfect in my book.
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

Just take my bag limit on different species, don't like keeping the lil ones or monster ones though, have a big family that all eat fish so they never go to waste and I always like having fillets in the freezer in case I feel like fish.
Barra was 32 a kilo las weekend at woolworths humpty doo, and that for freshwater. Cheaper to go fishing if you ask me
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
Polycrafty
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Polycrafty »

I keep enough for a feed or two when I can get some! Took my limit of a mixed bag at Dundee but had visitors who scoffed the lot over a few days. Frozen just ain't the same.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Scottie5.3 wrote:Just take my bag limit on different species, don't like keeping the lil ones or monster ones though, have a big family that all eat fish so they never go to waste and I always like having fillets in the freezer in case I feel like fish.
Barra was 32 a kilo las weekend at woolworths humpty doo, and that for freshwater. Cheaper to go fishing if you ask me
Scottie you must do alright on the fishing front mate. I diffinitely reckon its be cheaper to buy fish then what I spend chasing them.

I usually do big trips so I try to bag out on the Jewies, goldies , macks on blue water and barra when I target them. I have a big family so nothing goes to waste .
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

Frozen is just as good if you vac bag them
The way I cook them in beer batter doesn't make much difference if you ask me

drifter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by drifter »

newfisherman wrote:So was wondering do people always fish to their bag limit and fish size, go over, or under and take just enough for a feed or two and some for the neighbour?

And also if anyone dumps there dead fish carcasses in the rural area could you chuck them away from tracks and not in plastic bags as the bags don't shrivel up in the heat!!
Really? You want some fisho's to fess up on the forum to breaking the law :lol:

Those that don't have a prob with size limit, will certainly not give a FF as to bag limits. Or dumping. Hopefully only the minority.
drifter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by drifter »

Hemi wrote:I only fish for a feed...

Went out about a week ago, caught two nice sized goldies in an hour in the harbour, that'll do! Called it quits, home before lunch time!
Had a fish, gave the boat a run, got dinner.... Perfect in my book.
So Hemi, you fish for a feed. But what of those that fish for the thrill?
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

Well I do alright on the reefies and pelagics, but barra evade me at times. My boat only holds 90l and rarely use the lot. I don't go a long way off shore just have my spots in close and at most 20nm offshore. also go fishing with a good mate a fair bit so he pays for a trip then I pay for a trip, so it weighs out fairly well. Don't know what Jewie fillets are worth but I've never had to buy any. Do a bit of landbased around where I live too for barra and always seem to get a few.
If you add in everything, buying the boat, fuel, fishing gear, your right it's defiently cheaper to buy fillets (don't ever tell the missus I said that lol) but as long as your sensible and target a particular species it generally pays off I find. I'm lucky at times too, bagging out on 60cm Goldie's at town hall a few times, trip would have cost at most 30-40 bucks, and eat for a week and keep the family happy. Chasing barra is what I find expensive. Plus having family that are ex-guides and fishing for years and share knowledge helps
Lately been saving money on bait by catching Mack tuna, filleting them and using them as strip baits, most Jews and Goldie's go nuts over that stuff

jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Nah I never bag out :angel: It always the deckie,, :rofl:
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

fishing is for fun not food I reckon, catching a few is good and I usually end up with a good feed.

even the last trip to the Perons, we caught a heap, but only had enough to just cover 1 bag limit for the 3 of us.

We were all happy with the fish we took home and had a ball catching them, as well as lots of other species that we let go.

Lots of expensive hobbies out there, fishing is one of a few where you can have a good feed afterwards and be rewarded with a good catch.

as said above, if there were small Barra dumped, chances are the people didn't care about bag limits either.
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
STANDY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by STANDY »

Fish for the thrill mostly while taking the occasional fish.

On 2 day trips (Barra fishing) wont take a fish on the first day due to ice melts to quick.
Could take a heap more fish if i wanted to but if i have got a few fillets in the freezer wont bother no fish in freezer take a few

Few years ago at the roper caught a heap of fish and mate and i took one fillet for tea and gave the other half to some locals fishing on the bank on the way back. 2 boats around at the prawn farm were furious as they thought if we were not keeping them to F5ck off as they were after a esky full

Luv to see the faces on the boats near by when i throw a few 70cm barra back in next to them
A Fish in the Boat is Worth Five in the Shop.
bring_it_on
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bring_it_on »

ahhh ...to me its all about just getting out there amongst it and enjoying..mind you seem to be bagging out on jewies lately and freezer is chockers..
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

STANDY wrote:Fish for the thrill mostly while taking the occasional fish.

On 2 day trips (Barra fishing) wont take a fish on the first day due to ice melts to quick.
Could take a heap more fish if i wanted to but if i have got a few fillets in the freezer wont bother no fish in freezer take a few

Few years ago at the roper caught a heap of fish and mate and i took one fillet for tea and gave the other half to some locals fishing on the bank on the way back. 2 boats around at the prawn farm were furious as they thought if we were not keeping them to F5ck off as they were after a esky full

Luv to see the faces on the boats near by when i throw a few 70cm barra back in next to them
Its funny how the Roper/Katherine locals tend to get a bit upset when you release fish in front of them. A mate and I were having a bit of a session off the bar last year releasing every fish we hooked. The other boys were having trouble hooking any thing and they spat the dummy big time. They started swearing at us-'What the f5ck you doin releasing fish like that, blah blah blah- drive a thousand miles to catch a fish, blah blah blah. Any way we caught 14 fish over 80cm in a couple hours and they got 1. Don't think we were the most liked people. Especially when we gave a fish to the real locals on the far bank for dinner. :lol: