Croc warning

madseb
Silver Member
Silver Member

Croc warning

Post by madseb »

For the first time wife was coming for a over night stay in the boat, always been worried about the crocs . Now we got a 5m boat she feels a bit safer then in a 4m hornet.

Away we went from South Alligator boat ramp down to Brook Creek, fished all day with not much success , camped up for the night in the first big junction,( second creek on the left) coming up river.

During the night wife yelled out something , but at this stage my good friend (vodka ) had a good hold on me and refused to let go , no way I was getting up, SHE WILL BE RIGHT I mumbled and went back to sleep.

Birds was singing and the sun was just rising time to fish , my head was hurting , no point complaining, pretty sure i knew what the response would be .

Noticed a 2.5 to 3m croc up against the bank 2 meters in front of the boat, as I stuck my ugly head up above the gunnel it started to come closer very slowly.
I always keep a long stick in the boat (The Priest) for situations like this or if the wife is giving me to much poo.

Pointed out to the boss the croc , I woke up last night by something banging the boat she said and it had its head on the pod I was very scared and called you , are you sure , can,t remember that.

The sneaky bastard would just not come close enough to meet the Priest . We ended up leaving as it was getting even to close for me .

Wife got 5 fish that morning biggest 77cm and dropped another 3, Me Hmmmmmmm (glad I took her along) dropped 1 and that was it,
talking about getting bagged all day nearly time for the Priest.

We decided to camp up in the same creek again for the night, as soon as we got there croc was back and would not leave so we did, camped further up river with no dramas.

Not sure if they trap in that area as I have not called the croc hot line .

PS: if you come across a croc with yellow eyes and brown skin it could be it. Take care

Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Croc warning

Post by Scottie5.3 »

Has it head on the pod hey, bugger that. Things are getting a bit too friendly
I call mine the negotiator. Either that or the trusty .308 comes out when not in national parks, nothing sticks around when I let that beast off.
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
tangles
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tangles »

Timely reminder ,I heard the other day April has most croc incidents.
Don't want to go sleep walkin or hang the back end over to do a big job.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Similar thing happened to me years ago with a croc resting its head on the pod. Makes sense because they dont have to swim while resting there.
Having seen just how high they can jump, i moved spots very quickly.
Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ben Jam »

This is pretty normal in any of the big rivers having crocs nice a close during the night, but jumping in the pod is getting keen. I sleep on the casting decking which is level with gunnels, I might rethink my sleeping spot in the boat.

They don't trap in the south, If they trapped in the south Alli they would be putting out crocs all day. The only time they trap around those parts is if they have a problem croc or when someone get eaten, like that lady who went for a swim at the ramp in 2012. Pretty sure she was never found again.

Just need to have confidence that they can't get in the boat.
----------------------------
-----------------------------
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Just resting their head on the pod
Ben Jam wrote:I sleep on the casting decking which is level with gunnels
That spot is for the deckie :twisted:
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog