Blue holes 1 2014

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Blue holes 1 2014

Post by Agent86 »

Well, had the shi*s with work so decided have an extra long weekend and go fishing on Thursday, tides looked good, weather looked good, rang Jeff and he had nothing on so all sorted, got to the boat ramp at Buff around 8am and the water was almost at a standstill, tide about to start flowing out, we launched KAOS no problems and the car was parked and we were off.

was a bit sloppy going across Shoal Bay as there was a bit of NW chop left over from the wind and storms overnight, headed across to a regular Tuna spot but no luck, few fish showing on the bottom and heaps of bait around, headed north towards Gunn Point, across the reef as the tide was still high enough, and into the holes to have a look, the water was beautiful, and quite clear for the bigger tides.
IMG_0001.jpg
not much to start with so we headed out to another spot in the outer hole, caught a few queenies there before and it only took a couple of casts and a nice little one nailed the slice, had a bit of fun with a couple but they both spat the lure before getting em in the boat.

We saw a big one jump just out a bit in the deep water, so I fired a cast that way and it got slammed, good sized one too, put up a bit of a tussle before I managed to get it to the boat, Jeff went to net the big feller, but the lock button had broken, and somehow the end cap had come off the handle on the old net, the net fell off the handle at the first netting attempt, quick thinking by Jeff the net was grabbed and we still managed to land the big feller, a good start to the day
IMG_0002.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg
they went a bit quiet, we headed for the sand bars but the water was still a little high, so I took off and headed to a little patch of mangroves where I regularly catch Barra, put the electric in and started putting along the edge, the water wasn't really clear but could see a fair bit, first little creek there was a small Barra hanging on the edge, I threw a softie at him and he ate it and spat it before I could blink, I hooked the mangrove root he was hiding in, dammit. We went along a bit further and saw a couple more small ones, but couldnt entice them to eat anything. we came round a bit further and went into Barra corner, there were bait everywhere, and we heard a couple of boofs as we putted in, there was a school of small Barra hiding in the roots at one spot, but we spooked them as soon as we noticed them and they took off, then I saw a nice little one swim out from under a tree, flicked the lure at him and he engulfed it, before the poor thing new what had happened he had been dragged in, expertly netted and was flapping in the boat, a nice little Barra, just big enough to take home.
IMG_0004.jpg
we had a few more casts, but had to get out of there as the tide was dropping fast, we only just made it before being stuck there for 6 hours :o
there were a few fish busting up in the mangroves just outside, I managed to get a good cast in under a tree and it was inhaled, but I lost the fish due to the light trace giving way, was a nice little one too around 60cm. Jeff was there with his lure just hovering out of the water watching, he dropped his lure in and it was attacked by a little brassy trevally, he almost poled it into the boat, we let the little feller go wondering what had just happened. :)
IMG_0005.jpg
we slowly made our way along the mangroves and there were fish everywhere, lots of schools of bluberlips bream feeding, as well as trevally, mullet and small bluebone, we saw quite a few Barra cruising the shallows as well, but didn't seem to be able to get one, we came round into a little bay and saw some more harassing bait, they kept taking off whenever we threw a lure near them, we saw a school of Mangrove Jack hanging round the bait, i flicked my lure into the mangroves and it was slammed, had to thumb the spool to drag him away from the timber.
IMG_0006.jpg
I turned the boat round with the electric and Jeff fired a cast into the same spot, bang, a slightly bigger Mangrove Jack inhaled his little rubber and tried to wrap him round anything it could, he managed to drag it out and was pleased with his first jack for quite a while.
IMG_0007.jpg
We had another couple have a go, and there were some bigger ones there as well but didnt manage a hookup, we moved along a bit further and in the next little bay there were quite a few Barra cruising round, they were a bit spooky though and couldn't get any to have a go, then one came right up near the boat, Jeff dropped his lure in front of it a couple of times almost hitting it on the head and it took no notice, he yelled out to me, I turned around and said watch this, swam the lure down past him right at the side of the boat and he swallowed it, jumped around a bit before he was netted and a nice 64cm silver Barra was in the boat. :D
IMG_0008.jpg
it was a great morning, with heaps of fish seen and a few good ones in the boat, nothing better I reckon than being able to see the fish and hunt them, then watch them eat the lure that you have thrown their way and get them in the boat. We went further down along the edge, saw some more good Barra and a few smaller ones, and another school of Jacks with some good sized ones mixed in, but only managed a couple of smaller fish. we went across to a favourite little creek and had a go for 15 mins before the tide dropped too low, managed another little barra there and missed a couple. There were schools of small Queenies in the middle smashing bait, but we didn't have a go at them. Got another little trevally on the flats from a school that cruised past
IMG_0011.jpg
IMG_0010.jpg
I decided to take off to try another spot for Jacks, just on the change of low tide, there were plenty of fish around there, Jeff hooked a couple of small trevally, I fired a cast in between the bommies and bang, a little jack smashed it, I dragged him out into the open and got him to the boat.
IMG_0012.jpg
threw the lure back in and got slammed and wrapped in the bommies before I had a chance to put any pressure on, Jack won that battle. Grapped the bigger rod, put another lure on threw it back in, bang, on again, thumb on spool and managed to drag him out, best one for the day :)
IMG_0013.jpg
He was baked whole, stuffed with Couscous and fed 4 of us for dinner on Good Friday, yum, baked whole Mangrove Jack.

we cruised around after that, had a bit of fun catching more queenfish and trevally, went into the outer Blue hole as the tide came in and had some fun in there, then cruised back to Buffalo creek over flat calm water as we watched a storm cross over Darwin in front of us, it was a great tripnd I will be back there again a few more times this year, had a ball with Jeff again catching all sorts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
Kaos364
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Blue holes 1 2014

Post by Kaos364 »

Variety is the spice of life eh, some very nice fish. I'll get out that way one day. Thanks for sharing :)
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Great report Agent86 I've been doing my homework on the area and hope to have a run out there mid next week for the first time
Tight lines and empty spools !
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Ahh, the A team is at it again. dont you blokes ever work :lol:
Polycrafty
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Polycrafty »

Sensational, I'm yet to sight fish any Barra up here, definitely the greatest fishing pleasure though. Super day out by all account. :applause: :applause: :applause:
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

Hi there,

Good report!
With some good Jacks.
nomad wrote:dont you blokes ever work :lol:
Coming from you Nomad, a guy in retirement…
:wink: :lol:

Have a good day,
Pecheur
Quinntreximon
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Quinntreximon »

Brilliant report, love readen em
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

Awesome fish guys. Well done! :applause:
... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{

My missus wants to buy me a GoPro...she said I need it... It's like a black box recorder for fishos...
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Awesome report!
barrabustin
Seadog
Seadog

Post by barrabustin »

Great report! Always wanted to explore over that way
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Some nice jacks Dennis. once this barra season is over on the rivers the vernons is gonna get a pasting from me as well!
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Cracker trip Dennis even though I didn't bag a lot it is a fantastic area to explore and just take in,,,
And to see the blue holes up close ,,,very,very cool :cool:

Thanks mate :D
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Nice work fellas. Always a good read 86
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Thanks for all the replies everyone, just had to share a great trip with good company and actually having a ball, be there again soon I reckon
nomad wrote:Ahh, the A team is at it again. dont you blokes ever work :lol:
Yep, have to do some work occasionally mate, but fishing is much more fun :D
cuddlescooper wrote:Some nice jacks Dennis. once this barra season is over on the rivers the vernons is gonna get a pasting from me as well!
Yep, top place with a bit of variety cuddles, always somewhere to have a go and try something different as well, just gotta work with the tides.
jeffish wrote:Cracker trip Dennis even though I didn't bag a lot it is a fantastic area to explore and just take in,,,
And to see the blue holes up close ,,,very,very cool :cool:

Thanks mate :D
No worries mate, do it again soon, might do the big tides next time :)
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ozdodge »

Top report, and great photos!

Cheers
ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!