NT Billfish Log

If you are into billfish, this is your home.
BirdUp
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: NT Billfish Log

Post by BirdUp »

NoGood are you lads heading Dundee way this weekend?
Well done on the little sails.

Nogood
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Nogood »

Would love to be going back up but got spend Easter with the wife and kid
Fish_finatic
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Fish_finatic »

Nice work lads. I was out there Sunday 13th as well, in a 5.5 mtr ocean master. Spent the morning at witches nose for zip, a few frigates circling and lots of macks mauling my teasers. Got to sail city around 11.30 after getting belted by a few storm fronts. Didn't raise any as we missed the tide turn, then got a bit over trolling and played around with Brassys and macks on the fly rod. Donated a fair few to some very frisky whalers. Pretty amped to get amongst the billies this year, lets hope it's a good season.
Ernie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ernie »

Hooked this wide of the Perons a couple of weeks ago
Had a pod of 4 beside the boat, hooked up on 2 but lost both :( :(
Had the one in the photo on for 15 min or so and pulled the hook (Marabou Jig and barra gear) :rofl: :rofl:
No guru one them at all but recon it was around 8ft long.
And bugger me do they move :shock: :shock:
Can see the Marabou in the photo
:cheers: :cheers:
sailfish1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Live it and ENJOY
Cant save the world from idiots as they'll just build a better one!
Wouldn't need rules if people did the right thing!
PSST There maybe crocodiles in the water
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Maribou jig and barra gear - that's the way, could be the start of a great sail comp :mrgreen:
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Good one Ernie :mrgreen: that's a great hook up story and pic .
I5 minutes on barra gear :shock: :applause: :smoking:
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Fish_finatic wrote:Nice work lads. I was out there Sunday 13th as well, in a 5.5 mtr ocean master. Spent the morning at witches nose for zip, a few frigates circling and lots of macks mauling my teasers. Got to sail city around 11.30 after getting belted by a few storm fronts. Didn't raise any as we missed the tide turn, then got a bit over trolling and played around with Brassys and macks on the fly rod. Donated a fair few to some very frisky whalers. Pretty amped to get amongst the billies this year, lets hope it's a good season.
We got the same storms I had a tow around there on the way home to Dundee and saw you guys having a crack with the fly. The bait was starting to rip but we had had enough.
Fish_finatic
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Fish_finatic »

Yeah it's a big day out there, especially getting smashed by storm fronts all day in a barra boat. The bait was definitely thick by the afternoon, we could see loads of baby tuna and herring right on the top of sail city. Looking forward to some settled weather to get amongst em, have caught my share of billies on conventional so hoping to crack one on fly this season. It'll be fun trying! :)
BirdUp
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by BirdUp »

Great fish Ernie, we hooked one similar size (bit smaller) at the Bowra shoals easter sunday. was on 6kg so it took a few hundred metres of line and 30 mins before we lost it at the boat when grabbing the leader.
Nothing wide at sail city sadly but spotted a few really small free swimming sails in at Bowra.
It ends up being an expensive day when Long Tails and macks destroy the lures!

any more reports from north gutter region with any success?? much easier to launch from the ski club than dundee!!
CCO625
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CCO625 »

Bird up, got two at Fenton wide last neaps. Heading out for a look again tomorrow. Anyone out that way today? How was the wind?I'll be in the Cruisecraft and on 16 if you are in the area.
CCO625
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CCO625 »

Nothing to report today from Fenton wide to nth gutter. Wind was blowing all morning from the west, only the odd flying fish noted but no big surface bait schools seen. Trolled until 2pm. Nothing seen back through Fenton Patches.
trevor schultz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by trevor schultz »

Tolled wide of Dundee Friday and Saturday went 9-6-3

Two good size sails and one absolute tiddler. should of landed the fourth but had a line failure. Still need some fine tuning but would like to of converted a few more.

Plenty of bait around.
Yknot
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Yknot »

Nice sail me and the missus just finishing up three weeks in exmouth half a dozen blues over 250 kg plenty of blacks up to 100 kg couple of 40 kilo plus sails and heaps of god damn dollyz now heading back to mud fish country damn three weeks just ain't long enough
ken_gilchrist
Seadog
Seadog

Post by ken_gilchrist »

My nephew got this one off Dundee over the weekend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Fish_finatic
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Fish_finatic »

Nice sail, great to see a young gun with a solid billfish.

Just a heads up to all the billfish finatics that pulling a billfish into the boat almost certainly kills it.

Yes they swim off but die from vertebrae trauma shortly after.

Dr Julian Pepperal, oz's best Marine biologist has confirmed this and is trying to educate people as well.

Not looking to point the finger, I've caught dozens of billfish and have been guilty of pulling them onboard for a photo before I realised I was almost certainly killing them.

Just some food for thought if we want to continue to have a good bill fishery.

Cheers