Dundee Fundee

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Gregsy
Seadog
Seadog

Dundee Fundee

Post by Gregsy »

After a weeks planning a few mates and myself decided to fish Dundee over the weekend targeting Tuna and Mackeral. Arrived at the lodge early sat morning to grey skys and a light breeze a busy carpark with tractors and trailers everywhere. Checked in at the lodge and grabbed some numbers for the tractor.
IMG_0430.JPG
THE OFFICE

After launching saw two of the boats heading up towards Roche reef for a look at a spot we found last year and fluked with GT’s and Queenies smashing our gear but there was no sign of life there. Headed off up to Loee patches but got smashed by a rough swell and opposing winds and turned around to have alook at roche again and met up with some other mates who launched a bit later.

The wind died out and we had another crack at going to Loee but never made it there, about 3km short saw foaming water and birds busting up so the Stella 5000 30lb and the Stradic 1000 4lb were rigged with slices and it was action stations as the next 4 or so hours saw braid peeling from the reels and rods bent over. Multiple hook ups and cheering from all boats as Longtail and mack tuna were landed along with the Grey and Spotted macks. A few lures were lost and several rods snapped and broken in amongst the excitement, I forgot a few times to stop recording on the GoPro and ended up with a fair bit of footage.
IMG_0446.JPG
LONGTAIL
IMG_0454.JPG
MACKTEY MACK MACK

After a while the action died off to we made the call to retreat to the lodge for a swim and a few beer before tea, once within phone range I rang a mate back in Darwin and mentioned the days adventures, without much encouragement he was convinced to join us for another crack on the Sunday. But…. we needed a few supplies, a list was made and he was off to the tackle shop to re supply with lures, rods and heavier leader.

A few beers and a swim later saw us at the lodge for tea and reminiscing of the days events, a lodge burger and still wide eyed and on a buzz from the fun it was time to call it a night

Sunday saw the boats repacked and bacon and eggs ordered while we waited for the deckie/tackle delivery. In the water by 9 and straight back upto the same area after dodging a rain scud.

They were there again…Birds, bait, big fish and the buzz of coloured braid peeling off the spin sticks. By the hundreds Longies, Mackies, Greys, Spotties, Queenies Sharks, Manta Rays and a sail. We upgraded to 100lb leaded as all the smaller stuff was getting snipped and single hooks for easier release of the fish. Didnt even have to try as the water was thick with fish. After several Tuna and countless Macks I soon had the Stradic out with the 4lb and got absolutely hammered on the drop by a decent Mack and 40 odd minutes later boated it with exhaustion….away went that rod that was silly! Back to the Stella. The deckie lost his rod out of the boat as we raced off to another bust up so a spare rod had to be rigged up. With the three boats all around the fish it was almost a 6 way hookup constantly. The two of us were jostling for space on the cast deck as we were fighting fish all around the boat and crossing lines over and under. A nervous call came from the cast deck as the deckie called out looking at the spool on the eggbeater screaming while the braid dissapeard “Blue!...i haven’t seen that colour today” my reply “fark better chase that one” and the pursuit ensued but to no avail as the hooks pulled about 5 mins later.
IMG_0477.JPG
MAYHEM ON 4LB
IMG_0481.JPG
TOONA
IMG_0502.PNG
PHOTO TIME

Some friends boated a great sized longtail next to us and not long after as the fish got flighty we called it a day as we were stuffed so about 2pm we steamed back to the ramp.
IMG_0457.JPG
BOATSIDE
IMG_0478.JPG
STUFFED

Boats loaded and packed for the trip home we all set off, I know the whole way home I had a grin from ear to ear and I’m pretty sure the others did. Id hoped for some good fishing and a few fish but id never thought it would be like that, actually deciding what to target and finding the fish but in plague proportions, definatly the best bluewater trip I’ve ever had up here and will be going back for sure!!

Cheers Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Dundee Fundee

Post by jeffish »

Outstanding result mate :applause: and a great read :cheers:
Quinntreximon
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Quinntreximon »

Brilliant report, good to see the sea healthy out there. Awesome experience.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Terrific report!
Polycrafty
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Polycrafty »

Very, very nice.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Great story and just makes me want to be on the water….soon…very soon 8)
Tight lines and empty spools !
Skippadman
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Skippadman »

Awesome mate well done
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »