Glyde & Woolen Rivers Feedback

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
drifter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Glyde & Woolen Rivers Feedback

Post by drifter »

G'day Guys n Girls. I am looking at booking at weeks fishing the run-off @ Darrens new lodge near the above rivers.
Has anyone fished these rivers?

On Google Earth they look like 2 completely different systems. One muddy, one clear water.

Any idea what tides should I be looking for?

It looks such a long way from anywhere I don't expect it gets much fishing pressure, unless the Pro's give it heaps.

Thanks in advance

barratrooper1
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Glyde & Woolen Rivers Feedback

Post by barratrooper1 »

Glyde is paradise in the run off, think bensback PNG. Iron Lady did somètrips in the 90,s was a story in fishing world mag by Ron Calcutt.
Will be the trip of a life time, I'm predicting cricket score numbers of good Barr a in beautiful country.

Lucky bastard.
Big Dan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Big Dan »

Do plenty of arm exercises before you go drifter, you'll need it when you go bottom bouncing! Good sight fishing in the clearer waters of the Woollen, and the run off in the glyde will last until about August if we get a decent wet. Magnificent country.
drifter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by drifter »

Thanks Boys, sounds bl..dy good
drifter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by drifter »

With the long range outlook from BOM still at 35 – 40% chance of a better than norm wet, I was wondering the effect it may have on these 2 rivers.

Looking at the photos below (thanks Google Earth), it looks like the Glyde River (Photo 2) is a muddy river being fed by large flood plains.

The Woolen River by contrast appears to be a clear, blue water river.

So my thoughts are if a good wet, good for both rivers (particularly the Glyde)

But if a poor wet, will that mean the Glyde will fish like the Finniss did last year (also reliant on a good wet because of the flood plains).
So then is that good for the Woolen as it’s only 20k away?

Or is a poor wet crook for both?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big Dan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Big Dan »

Drifter the Glyde is fed by the Arafura Swamp, which is about 5-6 times bigger than the catchment area for Shady Camp, and included in that is 3 spring fed rivers. Darren was up the top of the Glyde about 3 weeks ago fishing in fresh water catching big numbers of black rats. There's fresh in the system all year round. It's raining there and filling the swamp up as i write, so hopefully she keeps coming down. I cant wait to head out again as soon as i can get across the rivers, but i'd say you'll be flying in there before me!!! We were there in July this year after the 'poor' wet and the line of fresh coming out of the mouth on the neaps went for about 3km.

The Woolen fishes better on neaps, but it relatively clear most of the time anyway due to the smaller tidal movement over that way. Even the big springs only move the water about 4 metres. Theres rockbars galore in there that all need to be explored more, Darren said the year before when he was scoping the camp out in August there was fresh water coming over the rocks off the plains at one spot.

He's on facebook and theres some pics on there of the camp and a few snaps of the fishing on offer mate, Dhipirri Barra and Sportfishing Lodge it's under.

Cheers
Wombles
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Wombles »

Drifter when I was living in Milingimbi I found that neap tides are best to fish over that way. I only went up the Glyde once and caught a couple of barra but the Woolen river that is a special place! big goldies out the front and barra everywhere up the other little creeks. Best day was 50 barra in day fishing by myself.

I do miss Milingimbi........
Life is like a box of lures...you never know which one to pick!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FuZTJol4K0
Weasel
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Weasel »

Gday
Me and 2 mates are looking for a remote lodge/camp for a run off. I haven't heard of this one. Could someone give some more details please.

Cheers
muntzy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by muntzy »

There's a facebook page as Big Dan mentioned 3 posts above!!! Awesome place with heaps of fishing options!!!
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend,
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read!!
drifter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by drifter »

Weasel wrote:Gday
Me and 2 mates are looking for a remote lodge/camp for a run off. I haven't heard of this one. Could someone give some more details please.

Cheers
Call Sharon 0418 847 867. She will email out an info pack & price list.
drifter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by drifter »

2 months down the track, with the amount of rain Darwin has got over the last 2 months, am I looking good for a fair to good run-off?
Has it missed the rain. What are your thoughts?
Big Dan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Big Dan »

They're certainly not missing out over there either Drifter, these photos are the top of the Glyde about 2 weeks ago.

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Till
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Till »

It's been copping the rain. We have had a shitload over here at Gove.
apbesty

Post by apbesty »

Hi Guys (first time poster), I live over on Elcho Island, fished the Woolen many times, but haven't ventured to the Glyde but was thinking of making the trip over this weekend (camping) or next and fishing the mouth and the smaller feeder creeks inside the mouth of the Glyde. Hope to targart the bigger Barra. Am I right in assuming this and will the mouth fish well or do I have to go further upstream??
I havent caught a 1m+++ barra as yet, plenty around 80cm and 90cm++ but the creeks and smaller rivers around Elcho dont seem to hold the monster horses over 1m++.
Any feedback guys.