Giant Herring

Dinger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Giant Herring

Post by Dinger »

Been havn a bit of fun with Giant Herring here in the Clarence river,with some of the ones hooked & seen at th boat well over a mtr although the only one landed was 63.The problem we are having is they are swallowing the small blades we are using & its a long fight with the buggers & they are chafing leaders through so have lost lots of blades to date but mobs of fun
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Giant Herring

Post by scottmac »

Nice work Max, good to see your still around. Bet your salavating a bit down there, looking at the wet we're having? Your beloved Adelaide has copped a hammering!
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Nice fish max, looks like you are having fun :mrgreen:
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

Cool!
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

They get along a bit them things. When I was living down that way we used to get a few of those guys fishing for flathead from the beach in behind the reef right in the corner of the first bluff on the Iluka side of the Clarence only at night and usually only rainy rough nights and that was quite a few years ago now as well. (I even sound like I am getting old now.)
Enjoy, you are fishing in gods country there, I used to have it leased off him in the old days.
Dinger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Dinger »

Yea Scotty,should be a great run off for you mob,place I miss most is top of Magela ,watchn barra chasn rubbers in th clear water. :mrgreen:
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

nice fish, well done.

starting to get a few more show up round here as well, got a coupla small ones
missed a couple of rippers.
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Hooked another ripper down towards the Perons, jigging on the bottom with a metal slice.
Peeled nearly 100 yards of line in no time then came up for a big jump and head shake.

Got him back right near the boat, he came up again, shook the head and the lure came flying back, bugger.

That's 3 times now when I have hooked them in amongst bait schools showing near the bottom, in 10-15 metres of water.

I will eventually land one and get a pic of it, biggest I have seen so far, metre long and estimated around 5-6kg, very solid fish and thick across the back.

dammit!
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

dannott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dannott »

Is this a Giant Herring or a milkfish? Having caught neither before, I have no idea. Looks like the fish in the first pic though.

Caught it off Lee Point on a small metal blade in amongst the spanish mackerel smashing bait on the surface. Weird fight, wound it straight to the boat, it didn't realise it was hooked, then absolutely bolted, took a heap of line, jumping and all sorts. heaps of fun. Same deal as above, completely swallowed the lure, thankfully came out easily with long nose pliers and it swam away nicely.
IMG_5364.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Yep, that's it

good fish

well done