Yamba NSW

Sasa23
Silver Member
Silver Member

Yamba NSW

Post by Sasa23 »

I've just secured a month off for all of Jan 2014. I'm heading down to big fish country, Yamba NSW.
Living in CQ, I don't have access to any decent fish or crabs. So greatly looking forward to getting down there, mud crabs (they are thick down there), yum can't wait.

And the fishing, OMG. Mega Jew, Jacks, XOS flathead. Offshore - Mackerel, Marlin, Wahoo, snapper.
I might need to upgrade my gear before I head down there, my flimsy CQ gear is not up to NSW fish.

Dinger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Yamba NSW

Post by Dinger »

Offshore has been quite good here in Yamba of late ,with folk staying at the villas we are looking after getting good catches with the charter operator (Reel Time) here + the big flatties are heading back towards the lower reaches of the river to spawn.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Wrong side of the river, Iluka is the go, never killed to many crabs there though, for crabs I reckon your heading away from them. Good luck.
Dinger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Dinger »

There always seems to be no shortage of crabs in the pro traps that I see when kayaking up the back channels (but wouldnt raid anyones pot) :hunting: . Illuka sure is best if landbased & fishing off the stones seaward as the current pushes down from the nth to the breakwall there but if boating whats the diff. as youve got access to e/where & also try places like the Broadwater just up past Maclean.If theres been big rain before you get here stay down the lower reaches but if its been dry the salt pushes way up & so the fish.Like anywhere theres a lot of water between the fish :D & a new area takes a bit of sussing out but thats half the fun .
Sasa23
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sasa23 »

AM wrote:Wrong side of the river, Iluka is the go, never killed to many crabs there though, for crabs I reckon your heading away from them. Good luck.
The last couple of years the crabs were thick down there, over my 3 weeks in January, 8 -10 keepers per day. Up my way I'm lucky to get that per year.
Big D
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Big D »

Heading to Yamba for a wedding never been before and only there for couple of days in mid October. Is it worth hopping on a Reel Time charter and if so Estuary of Blue water?
Strong like Mother Russia and as tight as a Guinea fowl's hamstring!

"The Sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jaques-Yves Cousteau

"The first guy through the wall always gets bl..dy"

"remember that in the water you are no longer the top of the food chain"
Dinger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Dinger »

Go blue water mate (weather permitting),they always seem to keep the punters happy.Mrs nephew went out with his mate t/day & both havnt got a clue but caught some reefies but highlight of the day he says was a White Pointer of about 4mtrs checking them out for 20 minutes,Ive been hanging out to see one but never about when I go out although its whale time now & apparently they follow them ,(heaps of whales about at present).
Big D
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Big D »

Cheers Dinger

"The Sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jaques-Yves Cousteau

Dinger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Dinger »

Should be Spanish Macs & Tuna about by then also,theres some big cobia being caught at present .
Big D
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Big D »

On the back of my not so epic season it may be just what the doctor ordered. Cobra, Macs & Tuna! Epic

stockcube
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by stockcube »

No rain for a while, so plenty of fish pushing higher up the Clarence. Something to keep in mind.
stockcube
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by stockcube »

Blue swimmers and muddies being caught, dillys at night been workng
stockcube
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by stockcube »

Also worth thinking about the charter who runs out f wooli, about 1hr south.. Another good option. He fishes around the solitary islands, wahoo, macks big snapper etc
spazzard
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by spazzard »

sweet