My Turn To Guide

drifter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

My Turn To Guide

Post by drifter »

Looks like Back cast will be down for a while from July. My turn to take him fishing :fishing:

He called into here on the way back from the snow, with a couple of hours up his sleeve.

Hitched the boat and we took off to the Entrance for some Black Fish

That was a first for him. We caught 3 (Jase 2, me 1) his biggest was only 27cm, yet, you have should have seen the smile on his face. We were the only ones that we saw catch anything for the 2 hours we had. A far cry from the fishing report I got from the local Bait Shop saying it was red-hot with 1kg fish. :P Jason is hooked - talking of getting even lighter gear (we have 4lb braid with 6lb fluro on our rods - our Flathead set-up)

So what's next - we won't be fishing any heavier then the gear we have already got (4 & 6 lb braid).

Winter fishing down here slows down, but yet offers different riches.

Early morning Salmon, Taylor, and Bonnies, cast to with metal slices. (just f...ing cold)

Always the Black fish (both The Entrance or Brisbane Water)

Jewies after a good rain (my anchor rope is in a milk crate with a buoy tied in - so I can just drop the lot over the side and chase if I need to (good bet I will need to with that line class :)

If the swell and conditions are good - out to the local reefs for a crack at some bottom dwellers - snapper, mowies, silver trevally etc on soft plastics.

Work the washes - again if conditions are good enough to get close enough to - to cast soft-plastics for bream & drummer

Maybe even slow troll live squid on a down rigger for a Kingy in the Pittwater. That is guaranteed to loose $50 of braid :D

So, have I missed any. Remember I have only got a 4.2m quinine dory (so my outside options are limited)

I hope to put him on to many firsts, or PB's (both Jase & Geoff have gone out of their way to put me onto my "First or PB" up there)
BTW - that's the advantage of using these guys, as they have a personal knowledge of, and desire to better your previous experience)

So Stay tuned.

I will post photo's as we go.

stevep84
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: My Turn To Guide

Post by stevep84 »

Sounds like some good times will be had Drifter, I think you have most of the fishing options covered there.

Steve
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

I think he will be happy as long as hes wetting a line :mrgreen: the fish are a bonus.
Dundee Hombre
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dundee Hombre »

Drifter your comment (both Jase & Geoff have gone out of their way to put me onto my "First or PB" up there)
BTW - that's the advantage of using these guys, as they have a personal knowledge of, and desire to better your previous experience) absolutely nails it.

These boys are more than happy to provide information to all that ask in a way that shares their vast experience. They are two fine fishing gentleman. Hope you have a cracking time in the cold.
drifter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by drifter »

Well, he got into the local paper fishing column in the last few weeks. (All I can say is fishing must be pretty slow down here.)

http://newslocal.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

http://newslocal.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

Not one word of the Guide or the constant tuition he received (He really is a duck out of water down here.) :D
drifter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by drifter »

I had Jason stay overnight before he had to go back to Merriwa to chase up some sheep. :rofl:

It was decided an early fish was in order, and we were betting on the BOM to get the wind forecast wrong. Those following the fires would be aware we were expecting gale force winds. BOM predicted 20k @ 5am.

Woke to dead calm. 6.15am and we’re on the water.

Motored the 1k to one of my favourite Flattie spots.

Overcast, dead calm, 1.5 hours to low & very scared mullet. :fishing:

10 mins casting – nothing, 20 mins casting – nothing. :banghead:

Now I am looking for Bananas in the boat. There just has to be fish here.

A few more cast & I’m on. A nice start (45 – 50 cm)

Soon after Jason is on (same size)

Soon after the wind started up – making it a little more difficult as it was blowing us away from our drift.
Long story short, those were the only 2 fish landed, with 4 fish lost & a few tails bitten off by Taylor.

Off the water & back home by 9am.

Picked up some fresh rolls on the way for a late bacon & egg rolls.

I rang Jason this arvo to see how the drive home was (with all the fires)
No probs he said. He had just gotten back from a quick hunt. He knocked over a goat with his new bow.

Not a bad sort of a day he's had.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
drifter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by drifter »

and the goat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.