NZ Kingies

Welcome to international visitors. And local members, tell us about your fishing holiday ...
Melv
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

NZ Kingies

Post by Melv »

Just back from a 3 week trip to NZ. If you haven't already been i can only suggest you make sure you do before you die. Absolutely sensational scenery, particulary the West coast of the South Island. Great people great beer best of all great fishing 8-) :catch: . Managed to pack a little bit of Darwin weather with us everywhere we went as well which was a bonus. Only 18 hours after landing in Auckland i was heading out from Pahia in the Bay of Islands with Bucko from Capt Buckos charters. What a great bloke! i was the only punter on the boat and he took me out to the famous Hole in the Wall for his normal share charter fee. Don't think he makes a habit of it but i was most apppreciative :bow: . Well, we cleaned up, even Bucko was calling it a red letter day and he fishes 6 days out of 7. When we pulled up there was acres of bait being busted by salmon and kings and huge schools of trevally and the amazing flouro blue MaoMao surrounded the boat the whole time we were there. This place just screams fish. We'd picked up a heap of live slimeys on the way out and each time they hit the bottom they were nailed by Kingies, we caught 14 for the morning all between 15-17.5kgs. Geez do they pull!!!! Spent half the day bent over the gunnels while 80lb mono spewed off the reel, trying my hardest not to let the whole lot go. These things would pull a black jew inside out! The limit there is 6 fish so we gave plenty away to the local tourist boats doing the scenic trip thing and released the extras. Heres a couple of photos to wet your appetite.

PS-Did try trout fishing on the world renowned Tongariro river, caught heaps, namely my hat, back, waders, hat, grass, hat, trees............no trout ahh well i'll deifinately be back for another try.

:cheers:
Melv
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dodgyone
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dodgyone »

Those kingies sure pull hard. You try any jigging for them? :cheers:
Don't wanna be a flat water hero.

Real men go fast when it's rough.
Faulksy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Kingis

Post by Faulksy »

Nice Kings they go well dont they. I love the Bay of Islands. My folks live there. Its home to some XOS Snapper as well as a hungry population of striped marlin. :cheers:

Nothing wrong with a good Speights, Lion Red, Tui, Waikato etc.
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

Looks like mrs 2rods and I will head over that way next year (with out 1rod & 1/2rod :shock: )

This is just getting me excited now.....love the sound of them king fish,,, well done Melv 8-) :applause:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
Melv
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Melv »

Dodgy, there was another charter boat drifting the area with 4 on board, all jigging, didn't see them raise a scale all morning?? I'm sure it would work as they were eating us out of the boat. Their gear looked a bit light on, maybe the jigs were a bit small as the livies we were putting down were all 250- 300 long. Certainly be keen to have a go next time with suitable gear.
2 Rods - 2 words- do it!! Can't rave enough about the place. Wether it's :hunting: or :catch: or :cheers: NZs 8-) . Can be expensive and busy during peak times but we went on the shoulder and had perfect weather and most places pretty much to ourselves. And besides - Autumn's the best time for the big Greenbacks! :catch:. Bucko had also put a punter onto a 10kg snapper the day before and i saw a charter boat flying a striped marlin flag pull up in the arvo as well.Ttrout fishing is on offer all over the place.Your options are only limited by your time & money both of which dissapear too quickly while you're on hols :cry:

Melv
jonesy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jonesy »

Lion Red.....come on Faulksy!!! That was the worst tasting thing I've ever tried :uhh: :grin:

Great place NZ. I'm keen to get back there in the next year or so. I want to do the Tongariro winter run.
Faulksy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Faulksy »

jonesy wrote:Lion Red.....come on Faulksy!!! That was the worst tasting thing I've ever tried :uhh: :grin:

Great place NZ. I'm keen to get back there in the next year or so. I want to do the Tongariro winter run.
As long as its cold mate it goes down alright. MY old man lives there and drinks VB. I give him heaps.
Gibbo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbo »

Looks like a great trip Melv :applause: :applause:

me and the fun sheriff are going next year aswell :hunting: :hunting:

am looking forward to it

cheers :cheers: :cheers:
FISHING IS LIFE
----------------------

Return to “International Fishing”