Fog Bay Road Boat and Car mishap

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Dundee Hombre
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Fog Bay Road Boat and Car mishap

Post by Dundee Hombre »

Travelling back to Darwin this afternoon at 1.30pm I struck a bad boat and car rollover al Leviathian Creek on Fog Bay Road. Ole mate had been out fishing by himself on Saturday night. I saw him launch about 2pm and thought that's a nice big boat to be going out by yourself. Anyway he was apprently heading back into town and somehow he has rolled the car and the boat approaching the creek. He had made it round the bend as was about 25m off the creek crossing. The boat cabin and roof was smashed the boat was upside down and complately off the trailer. The trailer was all the way across the road and he had managed to get his car (4 x 4) to roll over as well. Not sure what had happened as the car looked like it had rolled the oppostie direction to how he was travelling.

There was fuel leaking from the up turned boat and the fishing gear was scattered along with his catch of two smallish jewfish, a nice goldie and a few reefies. The dirver was quite OK and there was plenty of help there assisting him and the police were just down the road when I moved on.

That is a tricky turn coming into Leviathian Creek from the westernside, you need to start slowing down when you first see the bend sign at the top of the straight. It will have taken two tow trucks to sort out the mess, the boat probably can be sorted but the 4 x 4 had seen better days.

DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Fog Bay Road Boat and Car mishap

Post by DOUG »

Get the name of the boat at all mate ??
Dundee Hombre
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dundee Hombre »

No Doug, I actually thought that it was a pro boat when I saw him launch, thats how it was set up. It was a 6mtr plain plate hull with a big Suzi dont remember any id on the boat.
skinny joel
Seadog
Seadog

Post by skinny joel »

unlucky, many a cropper have happened on that corner, isnt it called "suicide corner"? or is that the other one?
human guppy
Dundee Hombre
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dundee Hombre »

Not Suicide Corner Joel, that is at start of Dundee at the end of the current sealed road. Leviathian Creek is 12 kms from the Sand Palms towards Darwin.
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

we pulled out as he was launching. We were saying what a nice rig it was. 2 x HDS10 on the console as well...............poor bugger
fishfanatic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fishfanatic »

Yes a notorious little crossing and bend. Like you said DH you need to start slowing down when yoiu see the sign. Possibly a combination of fatigue/bad judgement?
Poor bugger :( ...thats the secong boat mishap this week. Be careful guys bad things happen in threes... :(
'Take me drunk, I'm home"
Unknown

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth".
John F. Kennedy

"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum"
Adlai E. Stevenson

"We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship".
Forster, Edward

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"
George Orwell

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
by Anonymous
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Feel sorry for him,But I,ve seen too many big riggs going to hard through there,,
No need for speed,,just glad I wasn,t comming the orther way,,,good that he walked away.
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

Ghound you said you liked the boat... Might be at the auctions soon :-(

Had a 175 Suzuki on it and a huge centre console ... Thought it was a pro boat too but it had no yellow backed numbers on it... A sad end to a week ends fishing.. Poor bugger..
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
Dundee Hombre
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dundee Hombre »

Well chatted to Jethro about the mishap on Saturday. It appears that ole mate had a good nite; took him 4 goes to get the boat on the trailer. I relooked at the site and ole mate had clearly missed the turn and headed off the road and over corrected and hence jack-knife and roll over.

He was lucky to walk away....and the police did they really attend?
Bazza Silver
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Bazza Silver »

Accidents happen out there I nearly lost the micra to an agile wallaby appearing unannounced, lucky for my sick custom suspension or I would've been his-tor-y.

I bet that's what's happened here, bloodly wallaby jumped out...

The poor bloke was probably missing the trailer because Jethro was screaming his arse off at him - then high tailed to get away, I don't blame him