FFF Daly Bash: All the truth about it.

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

FFF Daly Bash: All the truth about it.

Post by Pecheur »

Hi there,

Well where do I start?
First it was a bit of a disappointment not to see more people at the Daly this weekend...
And yes you have missed on a very good time.

In the end, it was Double Haul, Seano and his wife and his dog, and myself...
We were expecting more people, so we had to eat all the good food, and catch all the fish by ourselves...

Double Haul picked me up on Saturday morning a bit before 6am and later on on the road we saw Seano.
In the car we heard the weather forcast and I think that Double Haul asked himself why he was not going to chase some sails fish... No winds! So of course, Seano and I make sure to ask him the question a few time over the weekend: Why are you not at Sail city...
I am still not sure that he did not cursed us for that...

We all catched up at the camping and went fishing as soon as we could.

And it started slowly, with me regularly saying I got a bite!
And the to other lads saying: Timber mate that is what it was...
But I am sure that it was fish bites...
Then after doing all the thing that we should have done and no fish caught we decided to MacBarra troll...
Seano put this mighty big green scorpion on his line and casted the thing away.Put his line in the rod holder at the back of the boat and went at the front of the boat to grab a beer or something like that... Has he had his back turned to the rod, twenty meters in the troll, both Double Haul and I started to scream: You'r on your on!!!
And that was not a joke the biggest Barra that I ever saw being hooked started to jump out of the water and the rod to bend like crazy, with the line peeling quick smart...
Seano jumped on the rod and started to try to work it, but said almost immediately: I lost it...
:|
But no that was just the Big mama doing him a dirty trick, and he realised very fast that the fish was still on when she jumped again shaking her head like made.
He worked her pretty well, Double Haul was stering the boat and I got the net ready thinking Ho my this is a very big one...
And just at the boat... She got away...
:bricks:
I think that I can honestly say that we were all upset about that... Seano then said : Ho it might have been around 90cm...
I think he said it to try to not be too upset...
But I am sure it was over a meter...
:twisted: :wink:

So we Double Haul and I start to change our lure to have some that looks like Seano's one.
I did not have any so Seano lend me a big B52's in the gun and roses colours.
We continued for a while and Double Haul was on with a nice fish on a large green bomber.
We had a fish on the boat and should have been able to relax...
But we wanted more, it was just starting to pick up.
It was nearly time to go back to camp, but we decided that you can't leave just when the fish are turned on...
So we continued a little bit, and I was on with a 75 cm fish jumping at the end of my line, and Double haul screaming to me: Pecheur this is a rat! You are wasting your time!
I replied: Yes but it is mine if I can get it to the boat!
And with the help of the guys one steering and one neeting it I had a fish in the esky and for the July Barra challenge...
Thank you Seano for lending me your lure, I might buy one like that next time!
:mrgreen:
We then continued a bit, but with darkness coming upon us, we decided that it was better to get back to camp...
And we just made it avoiding the sand bars and tree stumps by going very slow and keeping our eyes wide open. That was a bit hairy for a short time if you ask me...
And we arrived to camp much latter than planed.
Double Haul started to cook us a feast and we pitched the tents.
We then had a very good meal, with the most tender lamb meat ever to have been cooked on a BBQ.
After that and a bit of a chat, we were all tired and went to sleep.

Sunday morning we had a quick breakfast, cafe for some, chocolate bars for me :grin: and off we went on the water!

And if you think that it was hairy in the near darkness the preceding evening... We got stuck on some sand or tree stump...
Double Haul look at me and said: Pecheur jump in the water and unblock the boat.
I just said: No way!
And he and Seano burst out laughing saying that they knew I was going to said that and started to tease me about some kind of irrational fear of crocodile...
So I looked at them and said: yes.... I am afraid of crocs....
So the both jumped in the water to push the boat...
I was ready to wait for the tide, but not them, and I have to paid credit for this to them...

We then decided to try what worked the preceding day and MacBarra trolled again...
This time Double Haul had lent me a big Chartreuse coloured Bomber...
We were getting hit, but no hook-up... This time I was telling the guys: Timber...
:wink:
And then I was on again and this time it was me saying Ho it is smaller than last time, and the guys to say, not it is bigger! And like an old couple the three of us to halfe argue as I was trying to reel in this fish...
Well mea culpa, it was bigger...
By a full 2 cm at 77cm... :shock: Thoses guys are good in fish size estimation... :bow:

We tried a bit more but it was time to go home and off we went...

All around it was a great weekend, with between only 4 to 6 other boat encounter on the water each day.
Just three fish but a very good time, and it was nice to meet another FFF member in the person of Seano.

I wish that you was there, as a badly written post card would say.
But it was great nonetheless.

Maybe one day we will have a FFF bash with more people turing up?

Any way, Thanks again Double Haul for the spot on your boat and Seano for the good company and the good laughs.

And now the proof in pictures.

Have a good day,
Pecheur
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Pecheur on Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

More pics...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zulks
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by zulks »

good stuff pech, DH and seano :mrgreen: I was spewin I had to bail on the trip but finances couldn hold up over my holidays. Sorry i beat you to first entry for the month :wink: Least you showed there are fish still to be caught in the daly :drinking1:
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

Good post, looks and sounds like you blokes had a good time.

:drinking1:
Brent Matthews
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Brent Matthews »

Well done, just a pity that more FFFers didn't turn up. Keep posting Pech, its a great read.
Cheers
BD

'May your fishing spots be silted and your hooks on backwards'
rossco
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by rossco »

Blame me guys. The bandit and myself planned to come but between fishing SB on Friday with inlaws and me flying back to Gove in the morning it just did not happen. You are a brave man Pech hanging out with the DH. I love the picture of DH with the knife in hand. Classic. Next time. Mind you by the time I get back SB will be firing and the Daly will be long forgotten. The bandit got a nice lead up chromie in the bay this weekend so it is looking good. I think I'll just have to put up with flicking rubbers at jacks until I get back to town ! :fishing:
Sheeby
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Sheeby »

Sounds like you guys had a really good time. Great post Pech :applause:
I reckon I'll have to tag along on the next get together.

Sheeby.
bandit

Post by bandit »

nice one lads. :mrgreen: hats off to bretto for taking you guys down there 8-) with a severe lack of intrest from the forum i couldnt justify another trip down there, when i have been getting good fishing closer to home.. ive put hundreds of hours on the river this year for very poor consistency, i was going to be going for the bash not the barra. :drinking2:

glad to hear you got a few baz. :clap:
:drinking1:
double haul

Post by double haul »

Why didnt 1 of you b*stards tell me i was getting sunburnt! :rofl:
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

double haul wrote:Why didnt 1 of you b*stards tell me i was getting sunburnt! :rofl:
Did you???
:lol:

Any way you and Seano feel free to had what ever I may have forgotten about the trip in the post.

Have a good day,
Pecheur
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Looks like a great trip was had regardless of the numbers :mrgreen: :chef2:
muntzy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by muntzy »

Great post as always Pech,
Good photos to go with it!!! Looks like it was an awesome trip regardless of the numbers down there.
Muntzy.
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend,
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read!!
fff1964
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

well done boys

Post by fff1964 »

I would have come just for the food :chef2:

Cheers
whomper37
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by whomper37 »

HAHAH well done boys top read, DH sunblock man WOW your red.....
Frodo, Dont wear the ring...........
The magical Bling, Bling..
I dont rap about bitches and ho's
I rap about witches and trolls.....
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

Cheers for the experience DH and Pech :applause: ,I had a ball (even if I didnt land a thing!) It was good to go on a river I had never fished and had someone there who new the river well- sorry bout all the questions DH! About the sun burn- I couldnt tell where the beard ended and your face started. :mrgreen: