Newcastle/Central Coast/Nelson Bay Charters question..

passenger279
Seadog
Seadog

Newcastle/Central Coast/Nelson Bay Charters question..

Post by passenger279 »

Hey guys,

Heading back down south for a couple of weeks and wouldn't mind chasing some bottom fish on gulps, jigs etc or any maybe tuna while I'm down there catching up with family and friends. Hardly fished at all when I lived down there so I have no idea really.

I'm wondering if anyone knows a decent small scale operator who caters to lure blue water fishing. Maybe around the 3 - 5 people mark. Anywhere from Central Coast up to Forster would be reasonable.

Cheers,

Jeremy

mnemonix
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Newcastle/Central Coast/Nelson Bay Charters question..

Post by mnemonix »

Hey Jeremy,

You're really visiting at the wrong time of year for Tuna. The Yellowfin season is over, The longtails won't be around until ~March and the small pelagics aren't consistent yet.

Water has been decent out wide over the past week. Newcastle Canyons has 25 degrees, The Carpark off Port Stephens at 24 degrees and Nelson Bay Fad has 23 degrees.

Small slimey mackerel are in plague proportions so the billfish season will start any day. Typically the bigger blue's arrive first, but in fishing out of Newcastle/Port Stephens this week I didn't find any working the bait schools.

Port Stephens is your best bet for a charter, There are no decent operators South of there, unfortunately I can't recommend anyone in particular these days as I typically fish out of my own boat.

the "Newcastle Fishing Forum" might be worth a read for the local gossip, google it for the url.
Good luck with it. Don't forget to put a report up!
-Mark.
passenger279
Seadog
Seadog

Post by passenger279 »

Thanks very much mate. I've never been that interested in chasing billies so hopefully some bottom fish are about. What about kingies?

I used to get on that forum when I was in Newcastle and I have a relo who is keen to get out on his boat, so if we can't find a good operator then we'll stick to that to flicking for bream and flatties or some in close spots.

Cheers
steele
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by steele »

Mate Seal rocks is firing for good red's,kings and Pearlie's. Full stick charters out of D'albora marina nelson bay are the best small boat charters if they are still around. They used to jig good kings wide of Seal's.
Big Fish Action
mnemonix
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by mnemonix »

Kingfish are going nuts around broughton island. I know of several fish around the 15-22kg mark getting speared in the past fortnight. I've been dusted up by them in my last 2 trips there (last week and last month).
Snapper between 1-4kg are in the 10m broken bottom near the sisters (West of broughton island) and also off "little island" outside nelson bay entrance.

Jewfish/mulloway have also been pretty cranky this week on the nights leading up to the full moon if an after dark session suits you.

Talk to Trevor from "Sandy Bottom Charters" perhaps? He's out of Newcastle and his boat is trailerable. Might be able to put you onto some fish.
passenger279
Seadog
Seadog

Post by passenger279 »

Cheers guys I've sent them both messages :mrgreen:
Dutchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dutchy »

D'albora marina nelson bay has a lot of charters operating out of it. I havent personally done one but always hear good things.
I can count to potato!

Keep on keeping on.
passenger279
Seadog
Seadog

Post by passenger279 »

Didn't go with any. Don't think I'm really up for fishing charters when I really think about. Had some great days chasing flatties instead. Just have to convince my fellow NSW fishers when I'm down there to upgrade their stomachs/be less wussy so we can get outside and chase something that'll stretch some arms.