Big Wednesday

Rumour has it that some FFF members are spearos. It's time to come out of the closet.
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

slug wrote:Do you free dive to 24 meters BB :-? :o

(& so much for safety stop on the way back
:rofl: yeah no chance of one of those. leave that one for the bubble blowers(scuba).

yep 24m has been my personal best on a good day. havent recorded bottom time but it's around 2 minutes from top to bottom and back up. Anything past 5m deep and the air in your lungs gets serverly compressed and you have less of it available to your body.

It's much easier pshycologically to acheive deeper depths when you have clear water. in the bad viz here you get disorientated sometimes which holds you back. It's taken 2 years of pool training and instruction from a experienced dude to get there. It's one of those things in life that it's not an ego thing trying to go the deepest. You can only safely dive to your abilities and that's where the fun and satisfaction is. Also there are mackerel that swim at all depths, so if your having a bad day you can hover shallow and wait for them to come in range.

12-15m is a very respectable depth to hunt. if you can do that all day your doing very well.

"in chemistry, Alcohol is a solution! "
4x4xfar
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 4x4xfar »

That's pretty bl..dy deep mate, well done.

I max out at about 10-12 meters but prefer 5-8 meters to get as much bottom time as I can.
What gear do you use....I have a 1.8 meter woodie....Thats what I tell all the girls anyway :rofl:
I dont dive with a wetsuit or anything, but we dont have the stingers in the Pilbara like you do up there.
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

4x4xfar wrote: What gear do you use....I have a 1.8 meter woodie....Thats what I tell all
man you could spear them from the boat with that thing! a 1.8 is good for fast movers like pelagics. Dry season use that one.

a 1m mid handle with 3 rubbers is the go. for jewies you'll want 8inch barbs on your cluster. you can land them with a flopper spear but be prepared for some underwater skiing as you'll get towed all over the place.

you'll need a reel mounted to the gun for most occasions. and a float with rig line in high traffic area's.

full stinger with hood in the wet. 1.5mm-3mm 3 piece wetty for the dry. if your worried about iranganji stings to the lips get a full hood from www.spearfishing.com.au. Omer brand make em.

you get stung by boxies on the lips from time to time. if they are bad stings, sit it out in the boat for a while and pretend you are 'resting' .

:rofl:
"in chemistry, Alcohol is a solution! "