spearing anywhere else but the harbour???

Rumour has it that some FFF members are spearos. It's time to come out of the closet.
Allister
Gold Member
Gold Member

spearing anywhere else but the harbour???

Post by Allister »

hey guys just wondering if there is anywhere else to spear rather than the harbour? There is some good water around the vernons though I think there may be a few too many sharks in that area for me to jump in!! Some spots off dundee towads blazae look okay too, I'm not really up to diving 30m in water with poor visbility around the harbour.... any other options? Pretty limited spearo only done a handful of times on the east coast but keen to get into some up here!

MattyA
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: spearing anywhere else but the harbour???

Post by MattyA »

Maningrida is good, Groote Eylandt is excellent.

Cheers

Matt
fish4me123
Seadog
Seadog

Post by fish4me123 »

Like everywhere, outside the harbour the vizabilitly is shity, There is little structure and the fear of the unknown. I am a keen diver and for some reason will dive down south where the risk is as great but get a pit in my stomach when outside the harbour. I guess it's because I know the hospital is far away.
tight lines
polcat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by polcat »

i have speared at the blue holes just around from leaders. cant remember as it was a fair while ago but i think low tide on the neaps.
pleanty of jack around the mangroves!!
MAY THE FISH BE WITH YOU !!

CHEERS,

POLCAT
ken_dog
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ken_dog »

Big gators in blue holes!
Last edited by ken_dog on Sun May 01, 2011 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

polcat wrote:i have speared at the blue holes just around from leaders. cant remember as it was a fair while ago but i think low tide on the neaps.
pleanty of jack around the mangroves!!
Braver man then me swimming around the mangroves of the blueholes. Plenty of big hand bags live there. Hope you have a good spotter in the boat who has a good eye and a straight barrel.

The reefs off Lee point are really good for spear fishing. On the neaps the water can get really clear (for darwin standards) and the fish life isnt to bad. Anglers reef has some good fish as do the artificial reefs there. Most of it is between 10 and 15 meters so not too challenging. If you head out wider bass reef and fish reef on the neaps are also good choices when the wind isnt to savage. Loee patches has some great spear fishing oportunitys in 10 metres of water and a lot of coral trout as a bonus.
Allister
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Allister »

yeah I was thinking rather away from the mangroves near the vernons, think I have rulled that one out anyway! I didnt even think of the reefs off lee point! Might have to give that a go, if there are any guys out there that ever have a spare seat in there boat I would love the opportunity, visa versa if there are a few guys into that want to head out would be more than happy to take out in my rig to do some spearing- but be warned I'm a vit of a scardy cat haha always last to get in and first to get out!