Vic Sambar

Chasing pigs, buffalo, duck and geese. And deer, foxes, feral cats, rabbits ...
bushie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Vic Sambar

Post by bushie »

2 weeks to go and I am off chasing Sambar in the Vic high country for a week. Anyone out there got any Sambar stories to tell? Or any pictures to show off?

nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Vic Sambar

Post by nomad »

I used to know a few blokes down that way who were massive sambar hunters. Ill see if i can track them down.
Take something warm :D
Queasy
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Queasy »

bushie wrote:2 weeks to go and I am off chasing Sambar in the Vic high country for a week. Anyone out there got any Sambar stories to tell? Or any pictures to show off?
Did a weekend backpack hunt in the Alpine National Park this weekend just gone. This was the result of about 1 hour's hunting, had the choice of taking a juvenile or a stag. Figured the calf would make the best eating, but when I saw the stag had antlers, boom! What I didn't see in the failing light was that he'd already cast one of his antlers. Damn!
Picture 1085.jpg
Picture 1090.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by blw »

Nice mate. Shame about the antler. Never got a sambar yet tho its my favourite to eat.
Queasy
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Queasy »

blw wrote:Nice mate. Shame about the antler. Never got a sambar yet tho its my favourite to eat.
I recall you telling me that. When you've got mates who hunt deer, you'll find some venison coming your way. I'll be eating this for the next year unless I give some away. It is a lovely lean meat, and I have a mincer too so can do almost anything with it. Venison pies will be on the menu soon.....
blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by blw »

Ill take some off your hands haha. Mmm love venison pies. My dad grew up in a butchery so makes all his own snags. Venison are great if mixed with 50% lamb fat. So juicy.
Queasy
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Queasy »

Will keep that in mind, as I have a sausage maker and my dad is still raising 'fat lambs'.
blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by blw »

I take some of those off your hands too haha
CharFin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by CharFin »

Got this one before I moved to Darwin, a few years ago now. It was only about 30 min into my official deer hunting career having only done half arsed trips before that. Near Merrijig ( near mt buller) on Buttercup Jeep track. Found a gully going off the road in very hilly terrain and started walking down. Just had a sense that something was just keeping in front of me so I picked up the pace to a trot. My mate pulled out and went back to the car for a cigarette. I looked up and it took a while to make them out but a stag and a doe were still as and looking straight at me , they camoflauge well. One 30-06 180 grain to the neck and it was all over for the stag. Spent the next 5 hours carting the meat back up the 45 degree slope to the car. Beautiful lean meat , cut it thin and a couple of mins on a hot bbq. Keeps it tender. There is supposed to be more and more around now. Just got to do some hard yards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Queasy
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Queasy »

Now there's a trophy!

People are saying there are more around now. I spent a year schooling at Merrijig in the '80s and was out bush every weekend and never saw one. Wasn't looking for them which counts for a lot, but these days I see them on every trip.
Queasy
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Queasy »

blw wrote:Ill take some off your hands haha. Mmm love venison pies.
They're ready - come get 'em! This pie maker turns them out in 5 mins flat. Was stunned by the both the time and the results!
Picture 1125.jpg
Picture 1127.jpg
blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by blw »

Look delicious
Queasy
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Queasy »

bushie wrote:2 weeks to go and I am off chasing Sambar in the Vic high country for a week. Anyone out there got any Sambar stories to tell? Or any pictures to show off?
Filled the freezer with this gal a couple of weeks ago. So many about atm, this one was just 200m into the forest, making for a relatively easy carry out.
IMG_9455.JPG
Queasy
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Queasy »

Not hard to find a few sambar these days - on each of my last 5 trips I've taken one. This weekend just gone we had them running though our camp in the early evening. Here are some recent shots.
IMG_2261.JPG
P4180235.JPG
PC110099.JPG

Return to “Hunter”