Kakadu piggers lose the lot

Chasing pigs, buffalo, duck and geese. And deer, foxes, feral cats, rabbits ...
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Kakadu piggers lose the lot

Post by Matt Flynn »

Given the recent $100 fine for barra fishing in a closed area, are pigs deemed more valuable than barra? .... http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-14/m ... du/7326532

Huge disparity in the fines.

And funny how what is effectively a free feral pig removal service cops such a pasting while the expensive aerial option is deemed OK, though I can understand why traditional owners wouldn't want uninvited people running around without permission to hunt.

nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Kakadu piggers lose the lot

Post by nomad »

chalk and cheese Matt.
these blokes obviously knew what they were doing was wrong (concealment, rego plates etc) - the other blokes were given the benefit of the doubt.

they should have taken their vehicles as well. :evil:
fish4me123
Seadog
Seadog

Post by fish4me123 »

Exspensive feral pigs. I wonder if their defence could of been better. What would they have got if they pleaded not guilt? May be they had a history.
tight lines
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

True nomad.

Can't help thinking though, there must be some way the park managers/traditional owners can harness all that free hunting energy to be rid of the feral pigs. I'm sure many would pay for the privilege to shoot them.

Some sort of brief season with a paid permit to hunt in specific areas. And without dogs.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Good stuff, they knew it was wrong and went to great lengths to conceal themselves. The pigs should be cleared out (with owners permission) but i don't think that tearing up floodplains in quads and 4WDs would be as effective as the helos
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Use formed tracks only on permit etc etc.

Depends on what does more damage, pigs or quads.
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by NT Wombat »

"Can't help thinking though, there must be some way the park managers/traditional owners can harness all that free hunting energy to be rid of the feral pigs. I'm sure many would pay for the privilege to shoot them.

Some sort of brief season with a paid permit to hunt in specific areas. And without dogs."

NT Parks and Wildlife (Not Kakadu - thats federal) area already working with hunting groups, including doggers, to help out with feral pig control. The APDHA (Pig Doggers), Bowhunters Club, Field and Game and SSAA/CPM are all currently involved in removing ferals from NT Parks to varying degrees. The fellas involved at Kakadu were hunting in the middle of an aerial pig shoot, scattering the pigs and making the aerial control less effective and knew full well they were in the wrong. IMHO opinion they should have forfeited their vehicle as well.

Hunting doesn't need poachers ruining the sport for the fellas that do the right thing any more than rec fishing needs gill netters and bag limit dodgers!