Shady Camp Barrage

Your home if you fish from anything that isn't floating.
Jer
Seadog
Seadog

Shady Camp Barrage

Post by Jer »

G'day,

Went out to Shady Camp barrage on Friday night for a look-see and a fish. Fishing wasn't that flash with only 4 rats caught from the fresh. There's no fresh flowing over the barrage in to the salt, somewhat expected for this time of year I guess. At the top of the high the salt was creeping in to the fresh.

The barrage has been completely repaired. The holes on the opposite side have been filled in, the lead up to the gate at the barrage has been repaired with a new ramp. The area where you'd turn around to launch in the salt has been fixed up to. Where there was quite large wash outs is now all flat.

It got me thinking, who is paying for these kinds of repairs? i.e. the ramp to the gate at the barrage. Can anyone lead me to an answer?

Anyway, the most impressive site of the night were the 40 odd crocs around the barrage. I counted 30 sets of eyes in the salt and 10 sets in the fresh. No doubt there were more that I couldn't count. At the top of the high, the crocs in the salt started moving across the barrage and in to the fresh. I got to see 4 crocs cross over and took a couple photos while I was at it.

Cheers
-Jeremy

mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Shady Camp Barrage

Post by mickkk »

Some tops pics you got there. All the glowing eyes in the back ground looks awesome.
STANDY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by STANDY »

At least they dont

mum & maddy 160.JPG

out at Shady
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A Fish in the Boat is Worth Five in the Shop.
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

The work was probably done by Melaluka Station as they own the land there and as far as I'm aware the station is owned by Pasparly Pearls but I have been known to be wrong
Heaps of crocs usually means heaps of fish at the barrage ,the water may be too cold still
Were there any geese out that way ?
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

cool pics 8)
George
Seadog
Seadog

Post by George »

Times when you don't have a hand-grenade ay

With them passing over like that, there would be no way you'd catch me fishing off of that barrage like that. I'm sure the government gives money to the owners for maintenance, or they have people contracted
to do the work (I'm sure the owners dont empty the bins and such), many people forget that the land is actually private, and it's a privilege to be able to have access to the area.

Good pic's too, hope you didn't have to get too close to get them, you got bigger stones than me.
Custom Plate Boats
Boat modifications
Trailer and repairs

http://www.fishingterritory.com
liddsy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by liddsy »

handbags everywhere... cool pics tho
Jer
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Jer »

shaggs wrote:The work was probably done by Melaluka Station as they own the land there and as far as I'm aware the station is owned by Pasparly Pearls but I have been known to be wrong
Heaps of crocs usually means heaps of fish at the barrage ,the water may be too cold still
Were there any geese out that way ?
You're not wrong. The Melaleuca Station is owned by Paspalis Group. Good to hear that they'd be paying for it themselves and not the tax payer.
http://paspaleygroup.com/pastoral/melaleuca-station
Capture.JPG
There weren't any geese at all actually. I have seen/heard plenty fly overhead in the past few months but none on Friday night.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jer
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Jer »

George wrote:Times when you don't have a hand-grenade ay

With them passing over like that, there would be no way you'd catch me fishing off of that barrage like that. I'm sure the government gives money to the owners for maintenance, or they have people contracted
to do the work (I'm sure the owners dont empty the bins and such), many people forget that the land is actually private, and it's a privilege to be able to have access to the area.

Good pic's too, hope you didn't have to get too close to get them, you got bigger stones than me.
I'm with you, I wasn't doing any fishing when the crocs started to move.. OK, maybe a little, but not standing anywhere near the water's edge.

I've seen the contractors that come past to empty the bins, that's something I would expect the Government to pay for. I was one of those people that didn't know that land was private land (or as I do more research, a lease for pastoral use).

I won't admit how far or close I was to the crocs when I took those photos. If it makes any difference, there happened to be a "seasoned" bloke standing with me, keeping an eye out while I took the photos.
Gagey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gagey »

Great pics, can I say that if you use Prof Harry Messel's formula for croc counting (five crocs for every one you see), you had nearly 200 crocs in the area. Just thought I'd throw that in.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

The station probably did the repairs as they wouldn't be far off doing a muster run i would suggest. They run there cattle across the barrages to the yards on the other side ready to truck out before the wet.
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

Excellent pics.

Yep the one with the eyes in the background.

You know what grinds my gears.....
Parks (or infrastructure or whoever) can put in a safe access bird blind 100m upstream of the barrage for the 20 or so people per year who go to Shady Barrage to look at birds.......
But they cant put in a safe casting platform for the 1500+ fishermen per year who fish the barrage........
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
littlemack3
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by littlemack3 »

:mrgreen: some great shots there mate
bring_it_on
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bring_it_on »

good call MUD.......have counted up to 45 sets of red eyes when i was working on The wildman resort couple years ago.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

1500 is only the number of people there fishing the day before the opening of the salt. Can only imagine the opening it self!