First Fish of this type ...

Your home if you fish from anything that isn't floating.
souva31
Gold Member
Gold Member

First Fish of this type ...

Post by souva31 »

Hey Guys,

A few 'my first ever' fish I've managed to catch since I've moved up to Darwin. Thanks to Jeff(fish) for helping me get onto this site and Vijay and Adi and Mark for a few fishing tips and help since I've been up here. Great to get out and see you guys down fishing regularly.

First fish was (I think) a small Rock Cod at Buff Creek, but no photo - caught another small one a East Point a couple of week ago off the rocks, seem to be a few around - good eating I think? but need to be a bit bigger than I've caught, so have been releasing these ones. Maybe someone can confirm this is actually a rock cod - sorry about photo quality on this one.

Then I caught this other thing down at the Beach near the rocks at low tide (this was a couple of months ago) no idea what it was at the time, so took a quick photo and let it go ... after checking online I think this one is a juvenile Giant Shovelnose Ray.

Then managed to start catching some more edible fish across the last month - massive fun to catch by the way. My first ever Queenie(s) around 70cm - lucky to have caught several now and first ever GT - about 85cm-90cm. Top fun. Still trying to get the hang of using the cast nets but managing to get enough livies to throw a line in.

Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tangels
Seadog
Seadog

Re: First Fish of this type ...

Post by tangels »

Good stuff mate. Its been some good fishing there over the last few months, great to meet ya and see on the beach.
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Looks like a gold spot rock cod. Need to see it side on though. Quite common and very tasty
souva31
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by souva31 »

Cheers Lats, thought it was a cod of some sort.

Good luck on your Dundee trip Tangels, good to see you again this mornin, shame there weren't some more fish about.
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ozdodge »

That's a solid GT land based!

Good on ya!
ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!
souva31
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by souva31 »

yes was loving it - those GT's go ... awesome fun. used to catching the smaller "snotty" trevallies (for anyone whose fished in Tassie) off the Stanley wharf back in the day, which had similar pulling power, but on a scaled down version.