Mangrove Jacks

Your home if you fish from anything that isn't floating.
Dyspossession

Mangrove Jacks

Post by Dyspossession »

Hey guys,

I'm new to Darwin, currently living in the nightcliff area. I rarely keep my catch as I'm not huge on eating fish [emoji1417] (although the missus loves a feed of fish every now and then)

I'm obviously after some jacks, I've tried rapid creek on low tide with plastics/hard bodies with no success.. I've also tried the Cullen bay breakwall on low tide.

Can anyone shed some light as where else j could try and when (tides/day/night etc)

I've caught jacks back home, but only on livies.

TIA [emoji1417] Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Mangrove Jacks

Post by Matt Flynn »

Some good jacks in the harbour but they aren't usually targeted.

They can be targeted in the harbour by casting along the rocks in the shallows on big rising tides, they come right up close along the edges of the headlands over at Cox Peninsula.

They need little lures and light leaders to be tempted, and livebait is best. They can be fussy.
Dyspossession

Post by Dyspossession »

Would this be Darwin harbour on the jetty side of the waterfront? If so I wasn't aware that you were allowed to fish there [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AJay
Seadog
Seadog

Post by AJay »

I've had more success catching jacks on unweighted pieces of fresh dead mullet drifted into snags and rockbars than I have with live mullet. plus you can turn one live bait into four or five good dead baits, 2 fillets and depending on how big it is, the head and cut the backbone in half.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Would this be Darwin harbour on the jetty side of the waterfront? If so I wasn't aware that you were allowed to fish there
No, other side of harbour, Mandorah coast.

Ajay, you may well be right - but I've seen jacks ignore deadbaits in Cooktown and Cairns, and then smash live sardines dropped down. Even freshly dead sardines were ignored. Smaller tides and clearer water there though.
AJay
Seadog
Seadog

Post by AJay »

yeah not saying thats what is always best, but it has worked best for me, mainly fishing the creeks in bynoe, downside is you don't tend to get the odd barra like you do with the livebait.
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

Give channel island a go I've got a few off the rocks over yhe years but mostly barra out here

Upper elizabeth holds good numbers in the dry
Spearheads or twin hook bombers in tiger lily colour work well

A decent sized lure 12cm in jack colours will draw strikes as a territorial response too ...

Pillies or live bait will usually outfish lures on jacks they're not dumb. but watching baits can be boring as paint drying.

Take only what you need as they grow slowly

50cm are about 20yr old ....my pb was is 87cm shot with a speargun out the wessels in 6m of water
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.