Gove land based spots

Your home if you fish from anything that isn't floating.
dominic_lagman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Gove land based spots

Post by dominic_lagman »

Hi everyone currently in gove for a week. Any spots that you can recommend? TIA

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Gove land based spots

Post by Matt Flynn »

If you will have access to 4WD get a Dhimurru permit and have a drive, there's some sandy tracks, you may need a compressor for tyre deflation/reflation, although when I was there some of the dunes had corduroys on them. Plenty of landbased fishing, my favourite was a spot called the bauxite shelf.
Daz12
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Daz12 »

Close to town you can try Cape Wirrawoi. At the end of the beach there's some rocks you can fish off. Float a pilchard on ganged hooks out under a float for mackerel or flick lures for trevally and queenfish. On the beach itself you can flick a bait out and you never know what you'll get...
Near the refinery there's a place called the spit. Go as far as you can past the refinery near the customs office, walk under the wharf and along the beach. Good spot for big queenies.
Or further out of town as Matt said the bauxite shelf. If it's the one I think it is it's out at Cape Arnhem. Drive as far as you can until you get to a really nice beach. Park up top (called "The Penthouse") and walk around to the left along the rocks. Catch anything there ! Raised a billfish trolling along there one day about 100m out from the ledge....
Good luck.
dominic_lagman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by dominic_lagman »

Thanks guys for the replies. Will give the mine warf a try.
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

If u get a special permit to go with your dhimmiru standard one . and its not booked out or closed for ceremonies or road damage good jacks around 55cm at wonga ck bit of a mission to get to which keeps the crowds to a minimum. There are big queenies n schools of milkies all sight casting. Was one of my favourites when i used to live there .....
Getting flashbacks just typing this post.

Yirrakala rocks are awesome but you'll need to know the locals to go there ...no permit is issued for this spot n u can spin spaniards out of 20m with a decent cast way better than east woody or golfclub rocks we used to spearfish all of it. If u are spearing use a sharkshield n carry a powerhead for backup...

Good luck
Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.