Any thoughts about filleting knives?

Your home if you fish from anything that isn't floating.
Lumborghini
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Any thoughts about filleting knives?

Post by Lumborghini »

Lumbo,

If i'm too drunk to walk I'll rock the party on crutches...
Plate Size
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Any thoughts about filleting knives?a

Post by Plate Size »

cropduster9000 wrote:Victorinox is the go... try this bloke. Warren. he lives in jingili and has plenty of knives to choose from at good prices too http://stores.ebay.com.au/WAZMART?_rdc=1
Yah Warren will supply you knives. Nice local bloke. He does ebay. Cheap, genuine stuff. I may pay a visit soon. I will need a wetstone by the looks of my knives.
There is a strange feeling about land-based fishing that lures me back time after time.....by Jarrod Day @ fishingmonthly.com.au
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

I fillet with at Marttiini and skin with a swibo. Had them for about 10-15 years. I have a smaller Tramotina as well but thats not holding its edge like it used to.

I bought a $12 Rapala cheapo for bait in adelaide once, doesn't do a bad job for whay I thought would be a throwaway.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

I have a dozen swibo and Victoria 6 and 7 inch which I use to clean fish. The swibo are harder to sharpen but stay sharper longer then the Victoria. I use a electric sharpener the same brand the butchers use and all the blades are razor sharp. Im not very good with a steel so I swap knives 4 or 5 times when clean a lot of fish. The Victoria are apparently easier to keep sharp on the steel.

I tried dex and tramotina but find they don't hold their edge well so have been retired to the boats as bait knives.
Plate Size
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Plate Size »

I haven't checked yet, but the lady at Kings of Knives, casuarina square told me they will have Victorinox flex filleting knives , supposed to be last week. I may have a look if time spares. Btw, Warren at Jingili seems to have more knives for sale via eBay or straight door sales than anyone around. :) Swibo, or vics, next good wages, I reckon . Cheers all.
There is a strange feeling about land-based fishing that lures me back time after time.....by Jarrod Day @ fishingmonthly.com.au
Plate Size
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Plate Size »

Hmmm :sleep: that makes me think, those high carbon steel/'stainless the barbers use are cut thru. I remember using high carbon steel off 3 inches wide chainsaw blades. They may stain, but no other commercial knives can make it close to edge retention.
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

A good filleting knife should be ground at 70/30 and depending on wether you are right or left handed as to wich sides you grind your angles on
Depending on how much money you want to spend any blade between 52 and 62 Rockwell will hold a good edge but you must keep in mind flex of the blade is a must in a good filleting knife
Just a few tips for you
Regards
Shaun
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
mike davis
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by mike davis »

Swibo, victorinox and my new knife is a Fdick goes great
Plate Size
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Plate Size »

shaggs wrote:A good filleting knife should be ground at 70/30 and depending on wether you are right or left handed as to wich sides you grind your angles on
Depending on how much money you want to spend any blade between 52 and 62 Rockwell will hold a good edge but you must keep in mind flex of the blade is a must in a good filleting knife
Just a few tips for you
Regards
Shaun
thats spot on.
years ago, my old man , me..the whole family ,right handed, and we always got the knifesmith/blacksmith to custom make single beveled knives for jungle use. easy to sharpen and tough when it comes tackling clearing bushes.
over the years of cutting and honing the blades, they become 90/10 beveled, and thats when the cooks,our women appreciate the edges of the knives/bolos. :))
commercially of course, knives are cut and honed to symmetrical edge..50/50. but offset bevel edges for anyones orientation..lefty or righty does a lot of difference.
my experience, my cent anyway..cheers.
victorinox is the stuff huh?
anyone lean towards swibo?
bismark knives are like 200 bcks a piece. dang. its costs more than an ak47 rifle by weight. just checked cas king of knives, vicx are not there yet. bismarks on 80 percent discounted sale at the moment.
bismark knives , german made..any thoughts about them? thanks.
Plate Size
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Plate Size »

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VICTORINOX-5 ... 4ac5d37863
try this. Warrens selling.
btw, i am not endorsing anything.
DrRuff
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by DrRuff »

Did you end up getting a good knife Plate Size? Check out Alfred's in town too (knuckey street). It looks like an odd place to find a knife but he has an amazing selection out the back!

edit. Just spent some time on Warren's ebay page and it looks like I need to buy a few new knives...
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

I don't like flexy blades for filleting. I find that a 6 inch victorinox boner the best. I like the control of the shorter blade. They are a soft metal but sharpen easily if you stay on the steel every 2 or three fish. Swibo are harder and hold an edge longer but much harder to sharpen in my veiw. Martini are razers but the one I have the blade is too flexy for my liking so I don't really use it.