Lee Point Land based Style

Your home if you fish from anything that isn't floating.
Aaron G
Seadog
Seadog

Lee Point Land based Style

Post by Aaron G »

G'day guys, im new to the forum, names Aaron.

Little bout me, moved up here with the RAAF. Been here about a year.

Love my landbase fishing, and would like to share my success and fails.

Last year just at the end of the run off (2010), I went down to Lee Point rocks on a Sunday Morning spring tide.

Through some dead sardines out that i had caught at stokes hill ages ago.

Not thinking much, i thew the ball to the dogs and left the rods leaning on the ezky, didn't take long to my rod started heading towards the drink to my shock (keep note guys im a southener, im use to bream, flathead and whiting)

Set line up again, keep an eye on the rods this time. Bang again the rods almost gets lost in the drink, i grab it,

the drag sings its music zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!
I didn't know what a drags job was before i came to darwin!

10 - 15 mins later with the help of some locals giving me adice (let him run mate, let him run, all right mate, now pull the rod up then wind, (is he dog fighting yah mate) be patient got all morning, ok mate start to turn him hes headin for the rocks) fight finished .... Old mate helps me beach my first trevally.

Im sold!

Since then I have gone down many a time, mostly spring tide mornings, hour before and hour after.

i learnt how to chuck a cast net, and have caught most of my fish on live mullet, gar, whiting and sardine.

I took my big bro and nephew down and they have cleaned up as well, mainly pelagics.

Fish caught have been, queenies, trevors, small mack, black tip shark, shovel nosed shark, blue salmon, and Powertail. Lost two barra

Seen ppl catch similar fish, and a saw shark.

On the spring low, i have seen cod and blue bone caught by back packers on half pillies and squid.

Lot of guys cast poppers, i have seen two trevally caught this way.

Action hasn't always been hot, its hard to fish when the shes choppy, and weed can be super annoying, wrapping around your livie and sinker.

Have seen a croc there, so keep an eye if you have small dogs.

Its a bizarre place some days, I have had a shovel nose jump clean out of the water like a barra.

I have been spooled and have lost a complete rod, left a dead mullet out leaning on the esky again, like lighning she was gone.

Seen dolphins

Didn't see but was told tuna come pretty close in the dry sometimes.

Catching livies some days is too easy others extremely hard, full moons can be great for morning sessions,

I have seen guys kayak way way way out from lee pt. I have seen a absolute massive Mack jump clear out of the water (further out)

My advice imajor f you want to hit up Lee point

Buy A sturdy rod holder (if live baiting)
Live whiting are awesome bait (some are so big, you could cook them up)

im still trying to figure out how to post stuff
hope use get to see the photos

Aaron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Aaron G on Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

muntzy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Lee Point Land based Style

Post by muntzy »

G'day Aaron,
Welcome to the forum, some awesome landbased fish there. bl..dy good size queenies!!!
Cheers Muntzy.
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend,
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read!!
Dreamrider-
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Dreamrider- »

welcome to the forum mate ! :D always wanted a lee point fishing review as it's another option for me instead of buffalo creek ! Only fished Lee point once and managed a salmon on the sand flats..
On my way to catch a 1 metre barra... some day
:D
nikoniko
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nikoniko »

Awesome fishing Aaron :mrgreen: who needs a boat when you can catch fish like that
Fry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Fry »

bl..dy good post mate and some nice size fish :mrgreen: :bow:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Great post Aaron, some great fishing to be had off the rocks there, usually always something moving about!!! Nice Queenies, love catching those big buggas!! hit poppers hard, same with the GT's, go like a train, well done, good fishing!
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Ripper post, great to have you on board, the FFFer 'Pecheur' will be most impressed :mrgreen:
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

Well done mate ,looks and sounds like you have been having a ball
Some excellent fish there

Shaun
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

Good work Aaron. Some good fish for the lads there! If Im fishing from the sand I find a half meter length of PVC pipe, hacksaw the end off at an angle then tap it into the sand with a mallet, makes a good rod holder. You always need to watch the rod but it keeps the reel out of the sand.
Cheers
Mud
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
fishfanatic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fishfanatic »

Very impressive debut to the forum Aaron with nice fish caught and good advice from yourself 8) . Welcome to FFF,,, :mrgreen:
'Take me drunk, I'm home"
Unknown

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth".
John F. Kennedy

"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum"
Adlai E. Stevenson

"We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship".
Forster, Edward

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"
George Orwell

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
by Anonymous
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

Welcome Aaron,

And yes I am very impressed!
Congratulation on these great fishes from the shore.
:applause: :mrgreen:

I have never fished Lee Point land based, but this sure is something I would love to try one day.

And yes it is a good report, thanks for all the information on it.
As for the rod going into the drink, never happened to me yet, but I saw it happen to another guy one day from the Mandorah jetty, and that was something to be seen...

Have good day,
Pecheur
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

Well done!- MONSTER queenies!! 8) I think I saw some of these pics in the paper?
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

Last edited by seano on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

werent some of those fish about 130cm??
Last edited by seano on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr RiverBabe
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mr RiverBabe »

Great report and great fish. Love lee point for landbased, only fished it twice but on both occaissions caught something for dinner. Nothing compared to these monsters though. very impressive.

Cheers
Bj