USA fishing information

Welcome to international visitors. And local members, tell us about your fishing holiday ...
aussiemaps
Gold Member
Gold Member

USA fishing information

Post by aussiemaps »

G'day mighty fff'ers.

so me and the missus are heading over to the states in mid July for a 11 week holiday. Trying to get any information from people who has been there before on what fishing charters i should look at doing. will be on both the east and west coasts (east first then west around the start of Sep). I was thinking of heading down to San Diego to do some blue water and when over in miami doing a similar thing.

***Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley!**
doors off
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: USA fishing information

Post by doors off »

Mate,

I have fished Florida and Alabama. Didn't use any guides but did pretty well. I hired a kayak in the Florida Keys and caught some really nice Snook using the same techniques/retrieve/structure/current - eddy focus, plus Snapper (Mangrove Jack like), Jack Crevalle (GT's), Barracuda etc. Was great fun. I fished in Alabama for Large Mouth Bass at a mates friends spring fed dam and caught plenty of big Large Mouth.

Also fished the Everglades from a Canoe that the missus and I hired and caught a bunch of fish. We stayed at Flamingo, pretty basic but a nice place.

There are plenty of guides over there and everybody is so service focussed. I was last there in Oct/Nov 11. Don't take any tackle there, rods are crazy cheap, reels about the same, braided line crazy cheap and lures ridiculous!

Hope that it all goes well. The fishing is fantastic and the fisheries guys carry 12 guage pump actions, pistols and assault rifles - no bag limit/rule breakers there.

Cheers,

Doors Off
Save the Tuna - Eat a Dolphin!
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Hi

Went fishing with a guy from Wesweygo a couple of times in Louisiana.

Fishing consisted basically of checking traps.

Crab pots used chicken wire so gives a pretty good idea of crab sizes. Ones I saw were about size of big soldier crabs.

Bait fishing was via 1 metre of line suspended under a 3 litre plastic milk bottle and allowed to float wherever the wind took it. Any fish taking a bait had to drag the empty milk bottle around. Very effective and labour saving. Not very sporting.

Saw an immediate use in Fitzroy where u aren't allowed fish or go within 400 metres downstream of barrage. Bait up a dozen bottles with live mullet and cast them adrift at 400 metre limit on incoming tide. Tide takes them up to base of barrage and brings them back on ebb. Any barra tow the bottles back out too. You haven't encroached over 400m limit.

Never did carry it out at home. If I had to go to those lengths to get around the law, I'd have to be desperate. Anyway, others would pick up idea and do it.

Fella also had a heavy handgun for "gators". Only ones I saw were little things about 1 metre long and I had to talk him out of shooting them.

I have an unbelievable photo of shoulder-to-shoulder of salmon fishing on a west coast jetty if I can find it.
Regards
Ronje
cjgp
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cjgp »

Mate I am on a forum (dare I mention it here???) IH8MUD. No no not that Mud, hes alright, really

Get on there, scroll down to the Hunting and Fishing and have a chat with a few of the blokes on there. Try and hitch a ride with someone off there for a real local experience, or they should be able to tell you what is on the chew and who to go with if you give them an itinerary.

They are pretty good blokes really so someone will see you right

Chris
aussiemaps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by aussiemaps »

Cheers all of that, will definately have to check out all the links and forums.
***Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley!**