Timor fishing comp Atauro Island

Welcome to international visitors. And local members, tell us about your fishing holiday ...
barraboss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

east timor

Post by barraboss »

Any one going to East Timor for this international fishing comp.
I just signed up and paid today it looks unreal.
Whats the fishing like over there does any one know????, youd think with all the illegal indos trying to poach our waters that timor would be flogged out, is this an accurate assumption or is the fishing not to bad, i have heard good reports from some mates that spend a lot of time fishing rotti island regards to big dog tooth tuna up to 80 kilo and monster sails and dolphin fish.
Im looking forward to it big time should be great,

If any one else is keen you can book it through lattitude travel in winellie.

550 return airfairs with air north and accomodation and fishing boats, and food and soft drink inclusive package.

Christopher Allen Wilson
Simmi
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Simmi »

Me and a mate are considering headin over, only got told bout it today though. you wouldnt happen to know the dates?
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

pretty sure its in public notices in todays paper
shelloz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by shelloz »

I worked with a guy that went on a local fishing charter off Dili and they didn't catch a damn thing.

Maybe you could teach them a few things. :catch:
Shelloz

Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut.
double haul

Post by double haul »

Looks the goods i booked today, thanks for the heads up dutto.
Cant wait to get into the bintang again. :bonk:
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

I'll be there. 27-29 Nov. Stacks of fish up there :)
barraboss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by barraboss »

yeah late reply its already been answered, but when i locked in this morning only 4 seats on the plane left. Leave 27th at 5am back the following monday at 730pm. Sounds like they got it all organised. Look forward to it. After a few hours of hunting around some mates that have been over turns out its world class diving area crystal clear waters, with wikid dog tooth tuna action to be had around the shelf, best fun is on spear so have to throw that in the suit case i think some mates showed me footage today of spearing 50 - 80 kilo dog tooth tunas, looked intense. Some really good sails kicking around to.
Looks like a good trip lads. cant wait
Christopher Allen Wilson
doors off
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by doors off »

Did some work over ther on a UN contract between 2003 and 2005 and ma aged to fit in a spot of fishing every now and then :roll:

I only ever had light to Med spin gear but onto some very good Green Jobfish and Big GT's over on the NW side of Aturo Island (Nth of Dili), all on poppers. Great stuff in the clear water.

Plenty of Big Barracuda(20kg+) trolling on small reef ledges on the mainland coast to the East of Dili.

The waters around Jaco Island are prob the pick, Dog city. Saw quite a few sails free jumping just off the coast to the North of the airport.

Maori sea perch (tough bastards) on the rock ledges to the West of Dili (I really wish I had Gulp's and 80lb Braid there. Plenty of shark in close as well.

Oh yeah, and the biggest sea monsters I have ever seen. Sperm whales (Heeeeapps) and Blue Whales (hope the Jap whaling fleet doesn't check this sight).

Bait fishing turned up a lot of Coronation trout (nothing huge though).

Plenty of small schools of tuna and macks in the harbour to the Nth of Dili as well.

Hope this helps. Same lures as you use here will be fine and look for the same structure, though the current lines are much more defined over there.

Good luck.

Doors Off. :drinking1:

Oh yeah, Tiger is better than Bintang :drinking2: :drinking2:
Save the Tuna - Eat a Dolphin!
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

I will see you mob over there .....me and 7 other misfits... :naughty:
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
alfie
Seadog
Seadog

Post by alfie »

Worked for Hotel Turismo in Dili for about 6 months back in 2000. The beaches are better than any place I've been to, pristine, flat and clear.

Oh let's not forget the thousands of female UN personels taking a dip as you had to be very important to be working somewhere with aircon.

Anyway we used to see the locals walking around selling live crays and fresh fish which never caught my attention till I saw a wooden home made canoe dragging a 1.5-2m tuna. So when the boss asked if I'd like to go for a fish with the boys who used to run the sand bar close to white sand, I said S@*T YEAH.

Big Game reels, trolling about a 100 meters of line the water with a well presented dead bait. The bait boil was about 50 or so meters in diametre. Told by the skipper to put the seatbelts on as we went around the boil and then cut through dragging the bait straight through and bang I was on and for the next 40 minutes nothing mattered and when i finally brought it up.
It was huge, a 1.5m yellow fin tuna the first for me and my PB.

All the boys on that boat that day connected with a tuna some bigger, some smaller. wil make there one day to do it all again.

I don't have the pics but I know who has them, so will try to post them later.

That's my 5c worth.
Cheers
Good judgement is learnt through experience.
Experience is learnt through bad judgement.
Barralistic
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Barralistic »

See you all there, can't wait. Still waiting to find out the finer details, don't know what gear to take with me, never done a lot of blue water fishing any tips on gear to take would be great. It should be an experiance anyway. :cheers:
It has to be in the boat to count!
dodgyone
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dodgyone »

Barralistic wrote:See you all there, can't wait. Still waiting to find out the finer details, don't know what gear to take with me, never done a lot of blue water fishing any tips on gear to take would be great. It should be an experiance anyway. :cheers:

Fishing out of a canoe? My suggestion is gear your not emotionally attatched to. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Don't wanna be a flat water hero.

Real men go fast when it's rough.
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Booked today, although theres no cheap seats left now on the flight. You're looking at about $800 all up now :-? We're going a day early and coming back on the Wednesday. Don't know how they're dishing out the watercraft, but maybe going early might get you first dibbs! :twisted:

I can picture the whole thing being a bit of a shamozzle, as the travel agent said they were expecting about 10-20 enquiries, but have got over 100 going now! :bonk: Oh well, as long as the beer doesn't run out! :drinking1: See ya's over there! :catch:
Faulksy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Faulksy »

Will be very interesting to see how they deal with the bigger than anticipated demand. It will be an adventure any which way it pans out. :cheers:
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

I want to bring a spinning reel with me, but mine are all tiny. I want to buy one big enough to handle mackerel, tuna and GTs. I have a budget of $200. What's my best bet?