Fishing in Thailand

Welcome to international visitors. And local members, tell us about your fishing holiday ...
Moonman
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Fishing in Thailand

Post by Moonman »

I am heading over to the islands around Phuket for a couple of weeks at the end of the month with the missus and was hoping to get at least one day of fishing in. Has anyone fished the area before and if so how was it? I have read that the fishing offshore can be awesome but hard to find a good operator that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. The cheaper options look pretty dodgey, like the boats may not make it back! Can anyone recommend any of the charter operator and suggest what the best areas to fish are.

Cheers
Moonman

lincoln
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Fishing in Thailand

Post by lincoln »

Moony i went for a day trip of phuket about 3 years ago and it was pretty dodge. had about 7 passengers for 2 trolling rods so we had to draw cards and wait for your turn once a fish was on. Only caught one barracuda all day which they cooked up there and then but tasted like cr.p ha ha! wasnt really expecting too much so wasnt to worried still a good experience as the beers were wicked cheap :drinking5:
i reckon most of that place has been raped and pillaged. Maybe if you went out for an extended trip further out you may find some fish but with the amount of fishing boats everywhere over there i reckon its been pretty hammered.
i did another charter of Ko Tao near Koh samui and we caught a nice cobia and saw a saily jumping but it was once again pretty slow for the day.
still i think it was only $50 for the day so just take bulk singha and you will have fun!

good luck mate

Cheers
maxpower
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by maxpower »

I did it a few years ago. I fluked a nice little MahiMahi, but all up I reckon you are better off just going snorkling or to the pub. Was very B grade.
jasonmcc
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jasonmcc »

Give up the fishing Moonman. Thailand is the place to go for rockclimbing. Check out Krabi - Railay Beach!
...............Wishin' I was fishin'...............
Moonman
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Moonman »

Thanks Linc and Max... I kind of expected those sorts of replies as a few of the cheaper charters I found on the net looked that way. There were a few better looking ones but became expensive and I doubt I'd be able to do an overnighter... Guess I'lll see how it goes when I get there. Hopefully the fishing in FIJI is better?

Hmmm... Rock climbing sound like hard work to me! Maybe I'll climb a small hill or something???