Braid..............What's Good.... What's Knot

mippa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Braid..............What's Good.... What's Knot

Post by mippa »

you can get 500m off ebay for about $15 so i do it every couple of months.

AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

I find that Berkley whiplash is pretty thin and very very strong
wilksy01

Post by wilksy01 »

Finns all the way
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

AM wrote:I find that Berkley whiplash is pretty thin and very very strong
Well the 44.5kilo stuff is anyway
blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by blw »

AM wrote:
AM wrote:I find that Berkley whiplash is pretty thin and very very strong
Well the 44.5kilo stuff is anyway
thats all I ever use. 30 and 45lb on barra gear. 80lb on reef gear.
mike davis
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by mike davis »

Platil millennium was all I used for a few years until it got a bit too pricey...now I use fins and cant rate it enough..dont go near fireline found it used break too easy
Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ben Jam »

Another re birth thread where we become off track. If I had a mother in law picture to show it would be up now!!
----------------------------
-----------------------------
I Wish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by I Wish »

I swapped over to Tasline. 25lb and 30lb hollow core. Great stuff.
trevor schultz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by trevor schultz »

Whiplash is the go
madmaskbass
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by madmaskbass »

the best braid i have ever used is Varivas avani sea bass max power (silver one). I thought I would try what is regarded as one of the best braids in the world( with a price tag to match) to see what the difference is between it and regular gear. The difference is night and day! This stuff is so smooth it feels like mono but is a true P.E braided line! It has been heavily used on my main estuary rig for 3 years before the spool was too low to keep using...I now have on some fireline and it is like hessian string in comparison. I am not casting as far and I was not able to fit as much on the spool due to larger diameter and the general sensitivity is just not there...i was using the 20 pound and it accounted for some bl..dy big fish (meaning vermin lol). anyway it has to be bought online and I have never seen it on the shelf but imo well worth the expense and effort but geez I was always big time scared of spooling the lot on an unstoppable but I was lucky
Fisherman-Rob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Fisherman-Rob »

Good post as i was actually researching this the last few days again as well.

I picked up my new Shimano 5000FJ Stradic reel and rod combo yesterday and prior to that was looking for the best braid line to get for it.
I noticed shimano advertised the power Pro braid product, wonder why cause they own it i believe. :) haha

Also there is alot of china made Power pro knock-offs awash on the internet and flea bay, so beware when buying this brand, unless from a brick and mortor store, again you are paying more for the line in store compared to internet, but you invest soo much time, money and resources to get out there to only find break off's and knots reducing the overall internet line capacity and versatility as well. not all are like that, just be wary and buy form trusted sources, thats all.

Saying that .. I heard the original Power Pro Super Slick 8 is a good line and super smooth and round diameter, compared to some flatter braid lines out there. And great for long casts, knot retention, etc .. But couldn't find it up here in Darwin!

Also during my research found a great aussie website that tested all the Fishing Lines here in Australia and has a Great huge comparison chart with all the Test results listed and shown.

I ended getting FINS original PRT 30lb Braid yellow and the independent fishing line test website rated the 30Lb Fins line breaking point to be 56lb and have fantastic Knot retention!! the website says this is very good line to get.
Also great thing is you can send him YOUR Fishing line for testing and he will give you the full results back for FREE! you post minimum 4metres of mono, Braid, leader line with the full details of what it is, rated at, line diameter, etc and he will test the breaking strain in 3-4 tests as well as with a KNOTS test, and what the breaking point is as well. Fantastic! I will try to find that site again for you guys! :) <will update link soon..NAUGHTY
Update : Found it .. check out this site for independent Fishing Line tests here in Australia > http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/4linetesting.htm
Also check out the 'Braid /Mono Reviews' here as well > http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/4linereview.htm
shows snipnet from 2nd link > " Fins Windtamer - Tested was the Yellow colour. Strand 4 PE Stated lb 20 Tested 41.08 D=.mm 0.296".
Unreal can handle over Double the strength it is advertised at!!! Outstanding I say!

I have used FINS for a while and Love it, cant knock it in anyway.. except (just me saying) wish they come out with a more rounder smoother braid for longer casts, easier to go thru runs, etc. But extremely happy to have a line that's reliable, very high breaking strain (nearly double) of the actually lb rating of the line, excellent knot retention properties, etc

I also read there the Varivas is highly rated as well, but for 22,000yen or equivalent to $320 dollars AUD for a spool of line, its very expensive line, but hopefully one day try it as well.

The great thing is, no matter which line you get ... there are Many makes and models on the market now and one to suit every occasion and the fisherman's needs .. So as a consumer we are privileged to have a plethora of choices at our disposal...
STOKESY77
Seadog
Seadog

Post by STOKESY77 »

Suffix 832 primarily 30lb for barra 50lb for bottom bouncing secondly Power pro but then again i have never had a need to try any other brand as both have always worked well for me so don't fix it if it aint broken :mrgreen:
Give a man a fish, You'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, You'll feed him for a lifetime!