G'day

wilbur

G'day

Post by wilbur »

G'day All,

It's my first post on here, I live on the central coast, just north of sydney. No barra here sadly :( . The bass keep me busy over summer but after doing a few trips to the billabongs south of darwin and Melville Island over the last couple of years the Barra bug has got me good. Im a builder, I work for myself doing second story additions and new homes. Me and the missus are thinking about doing a year in Darwin, and I'm wondering if there is much scope for sub contract carpentry work around Darwin ? or if Darwin is still "booming" as everyone down here says it is. Would it be as simple as coming up and walking into a job ? any thoughts would be appreciated, cheers

Wilbur

blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: G'day

Post by blw »

wilbur wrote:G'day All,

It's my first post on here, I live on the central coast, just north of sydney. No barra here sadly :( . The bass keep me busy over summer but after doing a few trips to the billabongs south of darwin and Melville Island over the last couple of years the Barra bug has got me good. Im a builder, I work for myself doing second story additions and new homes. Me and the missus are thinking about doing a year in Darwin, and I'm wondering if there is much scope for sub contract carpentry work around Darwin ? or if Darwin is still "booming" as everyone down here says it is. Would it be as simple as coming up and walking into a job ? any thoughts would be appreciated, cheers

Wilbur
hey mate thats what the crew i work with do we had a bit of work but now eveeything fell through. My boss has rang nearly every construction business in darwin for nothing.

Sent from my GT-S6310T using Tapatalk 4
wilbur

Post by wilbur »

No worries, thanks for the reply mate. Appreciate it,

wilbur
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by olfart »

Welcome wilbur, be prepared to fork out seriously on accomodation, I'd be inclined to have work lined up beforehand. :mrgreen:
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Gday Wilbur
I lived at Woy Woy, Kincumber and Terrigal for 0ver 20 years. Loved the place until the hordes moved in.
I moved to Darwin a while ago and have retired (semi) - but have work coming out of my ears
Not much home reno work here, mainly new stuff and apartments
If you want pus work, plenty of little stuff and a bit commercial work around. (thats where the $ are)

Accommodation is at a premium ATM due to FIFO workers etc.
there are other places to live here but you have to chase them up
wilbur

Post by wilbur »

Cheers fella's, some good info, I have had a look at accommodation and was surprised how dear it is, how does a lower paid person survive living in Darwin ? We could possibly take 6 months off and camp around the top end not having to worry about work but the main reason we wanted to actually work and live in Darwin is because we wan't to get a feel for what it is like living there. Like yourself Nomad, it's getting a tad too busy around here for our liking and Darwin is an appealing place to live fishing/lifestlye wise.

thanks again for the tips

Wilbur

Return to “Hi or Bye”