The kimberleys

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
jaser_248

The kimberleys

Post by jaser_248 »

Hey guys heading off in to the kimberleys for a 2 month trip from Darwin right down to perth was after any land based fishing spots, or just any places that are a must see, have a well set up 4x4 so rough tracks wont worry me.

cheers

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: The kimberleys

Post by Matt Flynn »

If you want a rough Kimberley track down to the sea the one near the Mitchell Plateau is a cracker.

The drive up to Kalumburu is popular, there is some very good fishing in the bay, including goldies, jewies and nannygai on shallow reefs.

Spots worth a fish on the way to Perth ...

Victoria River
Keep River
Broome
Port Smith
Cape Keraudren
Cossack/Point Samson
Exmouth
Gnaraloo/Quobba/Ningaloo (fantastic area)
Shark Bay and Steep Point
jaser_248

Post by jaser_248 »

Thanks mate that sounds great!!
Cant wait to hit the road
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Make sure you call it ''The Kimberley' when you're up there. You will sound much more knowledgable. :wink:
Dropowar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Dropowar »

There is fantastic fishing, but being land based limits your options a little given the crocodile risk. The freshwater gorges up on the plateau are relatively safe and are full off sooty grunter. I've also managed good fish walking the banks of the Pentecost but be wary of crocs if you decide to do this.

Regards

Chris
bobj
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bobj »

scottmac wrote:Make sure you call it ''The Kimberley' when you're up there. You will sound much more knowledgable. :wink:
I find that interesting...I see that it is The Kimberley Region on the map but, having lived in Derby for 5 years and Kununurra for 7 years, it was always known as 'The Kimberlies' due to the 2 shire councils, East and West. But that was over 40 years ago...

Cheers, Bobj.
Cheers, bobj.
Defiant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Defiant »

just out of interest, does anyone know if I was to take my boat into WA for some fishing if I would need to get a Fishing/Boat license and rego my boat?

Cheers

(Sorry to crash the post)
Defiant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Defiant »

just out of interest, does anyone know if I was to take my boat into WA for some fishing if I would need to get a Fishing/Boat license and rego my boat?

Cheers

Wylde_Fish88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wylde_Fish88 »

If the tracks open go into Walcott Inlet, awesome land based Barra Fishing, fish junction of Calder and Charnley rivers at low tide with livies caught at the same spot.
Getting in is an awesome adventure in itself! Best thing i've ever done in my ute!
Plenty of crossings/campsites on the way in to flick for sooties as well.

Enjoy, post pics! :cheers:
If your not living on the edge, your just taking up space.

Grammer is for lossers.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Defiant wrote:just out of interest, does anyone know if I was to take my boat into WA for some fishing if I would need to get a Fishing/Boat license and rego my boat?

Cheers

not sure about the fishing licence but yes to Boat rego, licence - check their website
mike davis
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by mike davis »

Defiant yes you would need to have fishing from boat license, boat rego, trailer rego, cast net license if using one. If you only want to keep one persons limit, one license is enough but if you want more fish everyone on board has to have a license.

Also depends on what type of fishing your doing to what license or licenses you need. The dollar start to add up after awhile.
seado32
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by seado32 »

one arm point is an amazing place with some of the best fishing ive ever had, was out of a tinny though. Exmouth there is a campsite in cape range called Pilgrimunna (not sure how its spelt) if you can get in there. Looking at the water you pass up on the rocks to your left then walk all the way along the beach till you get to the sandy point and fish straight out from there. We pulled some quality spango's using dirty frozen bait, lots of sharks after dark though.
tugger1
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tugger1 »

Don't need rego or rec skippers ticket if visiting from interstate for short periods
Will need rec boat fishing licence for each angler, easy to get online
You will be subject to wa laws ie .05 bac, bag limits etc & have to carry the correct safety gear
I have done this a couple of times
Go for it
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

bobj wrote:
scottmac wrote:Make sure you call it ''The Kimberley' when you're up there. You will sound much more knowledgable. :wink:
I find that interesting...I see that it is The Kimberley Region on the map but, having lived in Derby for 5 years and Kununurra for 7 years, it was always known as 'The Kimberlies' due to the 2 shire councils, East and West. But that was over 40 years ago...

Cheers, Bobj.
Yes....sort of but no if you know what I mean :wink: Generally its known now as one region - the Kimberley and referring to it as being more than one brings the other region in South Africa into the picture. However the reference to it as being two entities was popular early in its development 100 years or so ago when even though there was only 1000 ks between east and west with north somewhere in the middle because of the difficultly in getting across that country it was considered to be more than one.

Besides they're a queer lot in the West Kimberley and rumour has it even odder in the North :D
Regards Dick
jaser_248

Post by jaser_248 »

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll put some posts up when I can and Let you know how I go!

Return to “Going Fishing?”