Mouth of the South

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
fff1964
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Mouth of the South

Post by fff1964 »

Planning a trip to the mouth of the south next weekend :D

Any tisp trciks obsticlas mooring spots fuel guestimations tec.
:titanic:
Any advice appreciated

Thanks

cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Mouth of the South

Post by cuddlescooper »

90km to the mouth. run the river on an in coming tide if its your first time. 5hrs difference in tide at bridge, 2.5 hours at the mouth. Watch your sounder in the section called the "round the world" about 20 minutes down from the boat ramp. Its two huge round bowls (open areas) It has huge sand bars that come out of know where in the middle of them but at the same time you cant just follow the banks either. Dangerous reef at the mouth between field island and barron Island. Have a look at a chart plotter or nav chart.
fff1964
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fff1964 »

ROGER THAT!!!!!!!!!! thanks
barnzy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by barnzy »

Caught some big jewies in between the 2 islands out the front, great ground, be carefull on low tide through that area, it can be 30m deep and jump up to 1-2 meters instantly. I found it a bit hit and miss at times as well.
fff1964
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fff1964 »

Cheers barnzy
I'm really chasing some barra though, all catch and release stuff.
Thought i would head down to the mouth and work my way back up.

Cheers
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

cuddlescooper wrote:90km to the mouth. run the river on an in coming tide if its your first time. 5hrs difference in tide at bridge, 2.5 hours at the mouth. Watch your sounder in the section called the "round the world" about 20 minutes down from the boat ramp. Its two huge round bowls (open areas) It has huge sand bars that come out of know where in the middle of them but at the same time you cant just follow the banks either. Dangerous reef at the mouth between field island and barron Island. Have a look at a chart plotter or nav chart.

Spot on Peter. So many people run with the tide to save fuel but when they get bogged, they are there for the duration of the tide run.
fff1964
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fff1964 »

Will be heading down on an incommimng tide.........good info thanks
palaran
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by palaran »

good luck mate
LIFE EVOLVES ON THE EDGE
fff1964
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fff1964 »

Yeah mate will needit lot of area to look at. :captain: ...........gotta start somewhere though. :D
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

That river scares the cr.p out of me hence I stick to the blue water. I always tee up someone who knows the river well to follow down and back. One of the best rivers for big barra in my opinion.
RNR
Seadog
Seadog

Post by RNR »

to be honest you really want to be fishing neaps /building tides mate ( water clarity) long way and cost for u not to be giving you the best chances
fff1964
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fff1964 »

Ok thanks guys might wait for a better oppertunity and head else where till tides suit. :D

Thanks alot may have saved me a wasted trip...............cheers :clap: :applause:
fishfanatic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fishfanatic »

nomad wrote:
cuddlescooper wrote:90km to the mouth. run the river on an in coming tide if its your first time. 5hrs difference in tide at bridge, 2.5 hours at the mouth. Watch your sounder in the section called the "round the world" about 20 minutes down from the boat ramp. Its two huge round bowls (open areas) It has huge sand bars that come out of know where in the middle of them but at the same time you cant just follow the banks either. Dangerous reef at the mouth between field island and barron Island. Have a look at a chart plotter or nav chart.

Spot on Peter. So many people run with the tide to save fuel but when they get bogged, they are there for the duration of the tide run.
I dunno been down to the mouth five times so far..always run with the first outgoing tide. Unless you're moving at a snails pace you will outrun the outgoing tide eventually and come to an area where the tide is still coming in..never been stuck with my boat (touch wood :bonk: ) except with my crazy mate Crackers in his boat lol..hugging the banks until we found the sandbar...nearly had my arm pulled out of my socket when we came to a very fast stop from 60 kmh..... :o :D
'Take me drunk, I'm home"
Unknown

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth".
John F. Kennedy

"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum"
Adlai E. Stevenson

"We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship".
Forster, Edward

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"
George Orwell

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
by Anonymous