Is nuclear power viable?

Put your poll about non-fishing topics here.

Is nuclear power viable?

Yes
81%
No
19%

Total votes: 27

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Is nuclear power viable?

Post by Matt Flynn »

The Japanese experience shows the dangers. Is nuclear power the viable alternative for the future?

2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Is nuclear power viable?

Post by 2rods »

Nah let's dam the daly river and put in hydro... :-)

Nuclear will end up here one day....
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
chanos
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by chanos »

Yep course it is............ Thorium reactors of the right type are safer and cannot meltdown.
Fishing is not a matter of life and death, it is far more serious than that.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Very viable. Just not in my backyard. Many places have had them operating for many trouble free years.
There are heaps of other alternatives, solar, tidal wind etc.
I reckon that tidal power will be harnesses here soon. Solar is very expensive atm, but like all technology, it will drop once the eggheads make a few more breakthrus
fishfanatic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fishfanatic »

At the moment nuclear energy gives the most bang for your buck (no pun intended). This is most likely due to heaps more research and money being spent on nuclear energy.
If only mankind would spend as much on alternative forms of energy like tide, wind and solar we would all be better off in the long run. :bonk: :(
I too can see nuclear power being the major source of energy in Australia in the future. :|
'Take me drunk, I'm home"
Unknown

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth".
John F. Kennedy

"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum"
Adlai E. Stevenson

"We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship".
Forster, Edward

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"
George Orwell

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
by Anonymous
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Perhaps a more appropriate question would be: "Is nuclear power viable ... in Indonesia?"
davet
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by davet »

I still can't understand why anybody would build nuclear power plants in such an unstable environment (on the ring of fire) they were only asking for this to happen. Their technology might be the best in the world but Mother Nature will always demonstrate that she has the controlling hand in all things so watch out! As for Indonesia, they show less enthusiasm to maintain high standards of maintenance which would be a worry without adding to the situation they are also subject to seismic activity.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

fishfanatic wrote:At the moment nuclear energy gives the most bang for your buck (no pun intended). This is most likely due to heaps more research and money being spent on nuclear energy.
If only mankind would spend as much on alternative forms of energy like tide, wind and solar we would all be better off in the long run. :bonk: :(
I too can see nuclear power being the major source of energy in Australia in the future. :|
That's not going to happen here until we sell all of our uranium and coal
Rug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Rug »

Geothermal shows more promise.
Smile and the world smiles with you, fart and your all alone.
NTFizzer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by NTFizzer »

This is a 'lay persons' explanation of the events, failures and countermeasures playing out at Fukushima without the regular media mis-information.

http://bravenewclimate.com/2011/03/13/f ... planation/

And let's not forget that Japan's oil refineries were also severely damaged and also continue to burn uncontrolled.

It's also noteworthy that in Aust coal is a substantially cheaper source of electricity than nuclear.

I think nuclear power is viable in appropriate circumstances and subject to stringent appropriate controls.
Shane Doevy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Shane Doevy »

NTFizzer
thanks mate that is a very informative link - I urge anyone who is genuinly interested in tis stuff to have a read and put some balance back into the media hype that always follows this type of accident - I can see the anti nuclear lobby now blaming the deaths on the nuclear problem which, at this stage, is not the case.
I think it is a credit to Japanese engineering that the power stations stood up to that massive earthquake at all.

Cheers - that sort of info is exactly what this forum should be about - the ability to make a decision based on as much information as is possible

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Shane
Work is what i do to pay for fishing!!
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

Just have a look at frig U SHIMA now
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

Hmmmmm not what I wrote LOL
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present