Is Darwin's itinerant problem changing?

Put your poll about non-fishing topics here.

Getting worse
74%
About the same
24%
Getting better
2%

Total votes: 66

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

It's been in the news a lot lately ... is Darwin's itinerant problem changing?

deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Is Darwin's itinerant problem changing?

Post by deepblack »

It may be that it has been wetter for longer this year but it does seem to be noticably worse just at present.
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

Ive been doing gas deliveries for 15 years ie. dragging a hose down allyways & its the worst Ive seen it,dodging spew,turds & urine pools + the occasional wallet thats been knocked off .I realise in town its mostly the night clubbers on weekends but in the suburbs its usually longrasses as thay are still in the vicinity with the steam still coming off their parcells theve left :hunting:
Dundee Hombre
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dundee Hombre »

I've lived in Darwin for 19 years and I don't believe that it's any worse than previous years. Sure the Intervention may have pushed up numbers in Darwin when it started but it's no worse now. I stay at a place in Darwin near a park and the long-grassers get there for a sip sometimes. They are OK and don't make much noise, however the NT Government's bright idea called "Early Response" only tips out their grog and move them on to somehwere else. The problem doesn't go away it just moves.
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

it's still bad. they like a high profile around the mall. sleep in their own extretions, yell, fight and spit on the ground and generally give the mall traders a hard time. yeah it's just dandy for tourism.

yes it's a free country but the were useless at keepting up some standards on this issue. and thank you long grasser who smashed the bottle on the biek path last night. got a flat tyre on my bike at Parap and had to walk to town. next time one layes across the path i wont be going around - plan on leaving my tyre treads as a permanent reminder.
"in chemistry, Alcohol is a solution! "
NathanL
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NathanL »

Lived here all my life, while the numbers are slowly growing it's their attitudes which are getting alot worse.

Bring back the vagrancy act.. no place in a modern community for vagrants.
There is plenty of country out there for true long grassers.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Yep, my pet hate is the broken glass on the bike paths, fairly obvious it's being done on purpose.

Had to ride through a gang fight on a bike track six months ago with my wife and kids in tow, it was full on. We don't ride much any more.

Definitely getting worse.
Melv
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Melv »

Lived here all my life, while the numbers are slowly growing it's their attitudes which are getting alot worse
Right on the money Nathan. Been here for over 30 years so had more than my share of humbug. Back in the day it was usually a polite request and I've never had a drama with handing out the odd ciggy or a couple of bucks if I was flush. On the odd occasion where the request wasn't accomodated the response was usually along the lines of "no worries bunj, have a nice day" now it's more likely to be a mouthful of abuse and accompanied physical threats. Unfortunately "attitude" seems to be a growing trend whether they're black, white or brindle.

Not hard to see how the increase in broken glass has come about. The day the ban was put on 4/5lt casks my local bottlo filled a double door fridge with their cheapest bottles of wine at 50% off, go figure :? If the govt was even remotely serious about doing something about the drinking problem they'd start by handing out some real punishment to the outlets that serve people who are obviously p...ed. Read in the paper recently about a shop in Katherine that sold grog to a bloke who could hardly stand and had sh!t his pants. Their liquor licence was suspended for 24hrs......WTF? Make it a week first up and 2 weeks next time, might make them take it a bit more seriously if it has a real impact on the weekly take.

Then again, I guess the govt doesn't really want to go too hard after an industry that put $300k in their back pocket before the last election........... :bs:
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

The liquor industry gives the government 3 billion a year in tax
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
GoodLookinPete
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by GoodLookinPete »

Let's not forget the itinerants in Britz and Wicked vans, a turd in the park is a turd in the park.
Abu Yabba Doo
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Abu Yabba Doo »

Gutless Labor Govt , Handlocked Police Force :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Its out of control , Time to move to Tazzie! :bs:
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

dirtyruiz
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dirtyruiz »

It's the same every year, different government same problem
Abu Yabba Doo
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Abu Yabba Doo »

Wish Pauline was running up here instead of in NSW ,she would address alot of issues not only the Itinerants! :mrgreen:
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

fishfanatic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fishfanatic »

CUB will be happy with the 40 million VB fund... :jester: :P
'Take me drunk, I'm home"
Unknown

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth".
John F. Kennedy

"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum"
Adlai E. Stevenson

"We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship".
Forster, Edward

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"
George Orwell

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
by Anonymous
dirtyruiz
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dirtyruiz »

Yeah I wish Pauline the red neck red head was running up here too, that would be awesome. Awesome entertainment.