Are the MP pay rises justified?

Put your poll about non-fishing topics here.

Yes
19%
No
81%

Total votes: 43

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Australian PM Julia Gillard will earn an extra $90,000 in an MP pay hike.

Her pay is now more than the President of the USA.

Is this justified? Does high pay mean we get better MPs?

Or does it show that MPs are out of sync with the real world, and rorting the system?

http://www.news.com.au/national/politic ... 6210689577

ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Are the MP pay rises justified?

Post by ronje »

MP pay needs to reflect the value to the community that the MP should add.

Rises aren't justified in the case of many individual MPs but that's the person not the position.

If we keep voting in dunderheads, that's our fault.

In this case, I'm very suspicious about the release of the airline gold pass rorting data just days before the remuneration tribunal put up abolition of the gold pass and some "perks" in return for pay increases.

Good thing I'm not cynical.
Regards
Ronje
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Im in 2 minds. Ive always said that if we paid them top dollars then we would get top people. The bottom ranked pollie gets $180K. Compared to average wages, it appears a lot but in reality, it isnt that much compared to anyone who works like they do. I know there are a lot of bludgers in oarliment but they dont last long.
The trouble is that there are no top people being attracted at the moment so the choices are limited to the labour dunderhead or the lib dunderhead.
The pay rises are a compromise where they will lose the cr.p entitlements when they retire like gold cards, paid staff etc etc

What has to be looked into is what makes a person actually want to be a pollie. Turnbull, Rudd etc are wealthy in their own right but the parties didnt want them to lead.
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

No they are not justified! simple!
From my limited knowledge of the process; when, where and how much a pollies receives in a pay rise is out of their hands BUT they do have the option of declining any pay rise!
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
WhatFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WhatFish »

It is justified, if it can succeed in getting some decent people to put their hands up and get into politics.
Why would anyone with any smarts at all become a politican when they can make more elsewhere.
And $90,000 pay rise for someone supposedly in charge of the country is bugger all compared to someone giving themselves a couple of million increase for running an airline.
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

So us tax payers will just fork out a 90 grand pay rise to someone who is the most unpopular boss we’ve had since Mr Keating, introduces a tax which the majority opposes, has no idea how to keep boat people from our shores and basically turns everything they touch to turds............don’t make sense to me.......I’ve always been lead to believe you get a pay rise based on performance not based on attracting people to the job once you’ve left.
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Blinky wrote:So us tax payers will just fork out a 90 grand pay rise to someone who is the most unpopular boss we’ve had since Mr Keating, introduces a tax which the majority opposes, has no idea how to keep boat people from our shores and basically turns everything they touch to turds............don’t make sense to me.......I’ve always been lead to believe you get a pay rise based on performance not based on attracting people to the job once you’ve left.

I see and agree with your point but lets hope the extra pay gives sombody better (not to difficult) the incentive to have a go. Its a hard one to swallow though, more than the president of the USA.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

WhatFish wrote:It is justified, if it can succeed in getting some decent people to put their hands up and get into politics.
Why would anyone with any smarts at all become a politican when they can make more elsewhere.
And $90,000 pay rise for someone supposedly in charge of the country is bugger all compared to someone giving themselves a couple of million increase for running an airline.
Exactly.
They have to put up with criticism from at least 1/2 of the population at any one time.
I still wonder what motivates anyone to put their hands up for the job. I do think that the vast majority go into it with the intention of doing the right thing for the country but as time goes by, they have to fall in with the party line and throw their ethics out of the window
BlueyNT
Seadog
Seadog

Post by BlueyNT »

The pay rise is announced after the treasurerer has just been on the news stating that we all have to tighten our belts ,seems hypocritical to me.
Also the Govt has put a 3 % wages cap on the public service , for the next three years , but Gillard has awarded a 22% pay rise to the dept Secretaries .
Military personell have just recieved a 3 % pay rise after having a vote on the rise and rejecting it . So those people deployed overseas in war zones are getting a 3% pay rise ,while those in Canberra sitting on thier arses stuffing up the counrty and commitiing Australian troops to fight and put thier lives at risk are getting massive increases .
The same Govt critisized Quantas CEO for getting a massive pay rise when the company would not give decent payrises to it s employees.

Some thing is very wrong .

Kev.
Last edited by BlueyNT on Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not young enough to know every thing .
BlueyNT
Seadog
Seadog

Post by BlueyNT »

nomad wrote:
WhatFish wrote:It is justified, if it can succeed in getting some decent people to put their hands up and get into politics.
Exactly.
They have to put up with criticism from at least 1/2 of the population at any one time.
I still wonder what motivates anyone to put their hands up for the job. I do think that the vast majority go into it with the intention of doing the right thing for the country but as time goes by, they have to fall in with the party line and throw their ethics out of the window

Politicians are like bananas .... they start off green and straight , then they get bent , then turn yellow and go rotten before they are tossed out .

Kev.
I'm not young enough to know every thing .
wally gator
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by wally gator »

Blinky wrote:No they are not justified! simple!
From my limited knowledge of the process; when, where and how much a pollies receives in a pay rise is out of their hands BUT they do have the option of declining any pay rise!
Hay Blinky that fat arse Gillard changed that law that was inplace ,so now they CANT by law declin the pay rise !!!! THE POOR BUGGAS
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

An independent organisation come up with the pay rise...... so cant really blame the politicians for the rise figures. I know I am not really answering the question that was posted by Matt... BUT

If I was a politician I would take it......

If my current employee wanted to pay me more money, I would take it
skinny joel
Seadog
Seadog

Post by skinny joel »

:fishy: i believe the pay rise is justified, but just not right now, while the economy is still fragile and such.
but in retrospect the pollies do some long hours and in hindsight do a bang up job, ie. they dont order the army to shoot protesters or make other members go "missing" when they run against them... so we are on a good wicket i reckon. we have so ar weathered the storm of the gfc. next election will be interesting.
IMO abbot needs to make some good policies rather than just do the opposite and disagree with labour.
labour needs to get out of bed with the greens.
the greens need to eat a bad tofu roll and not enter next election and be disbanded.
uni students shouldnt be allowed to vote, talk or have opinions until the have lived in the real world, not just adult child care (university)
the world according to me hahah :-)
human guppy
maxpower
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by maxpower »

uni students shouldnt be allowed to vote, talk or have opinions until the have lived in the real world
Thats what I used to tell my brother when he was sipping cheap pints at his unibar telling me how everything should be.
fitzwah82
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fitzwah82 »

This makes me sick to the stomach. The money should have gone to the sh!tty pension, these poor people can't even run an aircon or heater down south because if they did they wouldn't be able to pay for the food on the table.

I still have a few years till I have to face this BUT lets hope for everyones sake these pollies do something about it other than line their own pockets!!

Return to “General Polls”