Mary River National Park Billabong?

Barramundi, saratoga, sooties and more. For dam fishing, use the dam forums below.
Mattrn
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Mary River National Park Billabong?

Post by Mattrn »

Went for a bit of a flick and an explore today down hardies 4wd track?

Wondering this this billabong has a name.
And if anyone has fished it in a boat anytime? And had any luck
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Mary River National Park Billabong?

Post by Matt Flynn »

Haven't fished that one, but there are any number of secret little waterholes like that on Google Earth. Good way to find a few pigs during the dry season.
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by NT Wombat »

Maybe not a good idea for people to go looking for pigs in a National Park Matt - may end up in a bit of strife....
fish4me123
Seadog
Seadog

Post by fish4me123 »

I have fished it hard for many years with out much success. We have a secret camp near it. It was heavily netted in the 80s and 90s. You can still see the star pickets used. It has 2 huge crocks hardly seen. Occasionally I have shot a duck for tea to have a crock pop up and steal it.
tight lines
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Maybe not a good idea for people to go looking for pigs in a National Park Matt - may end up in a bit of strife....
Yes, I was referring to waterholes generally. Re that particular waterhole, national parks needs a free feral pig removal service, would save a fortune in tax dollars spent on aerial hunts, they should have a short NP open season with designated areas ...
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by NT Wombat »

Conservation Pest Management (SSAA) currently help with feral pig removal for free in Mary river NP. Any SSAA member can join CPM and after a short accreditation course take part in the cull program. The NT Bowhunters and the APDHA (pig doggers) are helping out in other parks as well.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Conservation Pest Management (SSAA) currently help with feral pig removal for free in Mary river NP. Any SSAA member can join CPM and after a short accreditation course take part in the cull program. The NT Bowhunters and the APDHA (pig doggers) are helping out in other parks as well.
Sounds good - might have to do a story about it in the mag and educate myself :D
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

Ther was also a MOU betweeen hunting clubs and parks to allow access to the Stapleton area of Litchfield for hunting. Was signed by the previous gov just before they went into care taker mode
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

There's also a MOU between parks and 4wdnr to allow clubs greater access to t have been closed for decaids. This has been in place for 2 or 3 years. I can put you in touch with the president of 4wdnt if you wanted to touch on this in your story. Although I know you are more fishing and hunting rather than 4wding. But offers on the table.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Keen on the 4WD angle :mrgreen:
Mattrn
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Mattrn »

fish4me123 wrote:I have fished it hard for many years with out much success. We have a secret camp near it. It was heavily netted in the 80s and 90s. You can still see the star pickets used. It has 2 huge crocks hardly seen. Occasionally I have shot a duck for tea to have a crock pop up and steal it.
We went and fished a couple holes leading up to it. Only managed a toga.
We were thinking taking a boat in and giving it ago next year after flood. Worth a go you think?
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by NT Wombat »

]

Sounds good - might have to do a story about it in the mag and educate myself :D[/quote]

If you want some contacts for the Mag Matt PM me
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

Camping is not permitted in the park except at couzens lookout n shady.
Duck shooting in a nat park is for d.. heads

No wonder the rangers are getting the sh.ts

People like you:

fish4me123

driving offroad and hunting in the park will get it closed off completely to everyone. They already made the track a dead end now.... it used to come out on the rockhole road years ago but the stations now prohibit access through that section.

Nice work
Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.