Mary river bridge lagoon 25th May 2017

Barramundi, saratoga, sooties and more. For dam fishing, use the dam forums below.
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Mary river bridge lagoon 25th May 2017

Post by goldfish »

Went out today in the upper Mary ... got heaps of rats n missed a few good ones but managed to get a feed still with one in the 70's. Which was demolished in minutes after the usual breadcrumb and shallow frying treatment.I cooked up the air bag too. Came out like pork crackling almost . I just cut it up into calamari rings then shallow fried it in olive oil... first time my mate had tried it. Reckoned he's gonna be keeping them from now on. :mrgreen:

The water was pretty low this time and we couldn't get across the sandbar 13 km downriver at hardies ck mouth , too shallow now. Unless you are willing to push your boat back upstream through knee deep water for 200m ... not the go in the dark with the big crocs. We used to cross it at this depth or shallower regularly in a 12 footer with a 20 hp 2 stroke yammie back in the day. When we would get peeled on 12lb mono off our state of the art abu n pistol grip fibreglass ugly stick combo...

I Must be getting old hey....

my sense of adventure got up and went without me years ago.

:fishing:

:fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Mary river bridge lagoon 25th May 2017

Post by goldfish »

Pic of some of the remaining ol' faithful lures that used to clean up out that way: nilsie spearheads, darwin darts, a barra blitz and a few rebel minnows and my abu on the 5'6''shimano aeroglass 8-20lb pistol grip
The reel is 24yrs old and now runs carbon drag washers, a current design handle and is spooled with 65lb whiplash braid casting off a 8kg Wilson xx7..

Modern day components have seen a significant improvement in easily landing most of the barra that are hooked on it now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

That's a big 70cm fish, looks huge.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

That brown spearhead used to be a demon at Corroborrie.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Cracking fish, 70 inches right?
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

78 cm was its actual measurement.

But it was carrying a lot of extra weight too. Once hooked it immediately powered off and headed through 3 branches wrapping me up, and while I was unpacking the prodder to retrieve it I was pretty lucky once again to have it untangle itself and then swim back out about 45sec later with 4 hook points pulled straight and one just holding into its jaw hinge. As soon as it was landed and photographs taken I immediately bled it head down it and broke its neck. I took both fillets (skinned), the wings and airbag too leaving not much on the frame... Had a feed of last nights leftover barra nuggets for lunch today then grilled chilli wings for dinner. They were good too... Not quite as good as a nice shiny beach caught chromie but still well and truly worthwhile taking the effort of preparing it for the plate.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

:fishy: :fishy: :fishy: 70?
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

goldfish wrote:managed to get a feed still with one in the 70's.

Far as i know 78 is still in the 70's :cheers:
Tap'n'Zap
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Tap'n'Zap »

Nice fish mate, well done.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

:catch: Miss read that 78 well done ,