Look see at Corroboree

Barramundi, saratoga, sooties and more. For dam fishing, use the dam forums below.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Look see at Corroboree

Post by Smudge »

Went for a quick look at Corroboree yesterday afternoon…..water water everywhere. I'm guessing that it will be a few more weeks before the water is back inside the billabong proper and the fish move back in with it. We cruised around quietly on the electric and could hear lots of boofs way back behind the vegetation and out onto the floodplain. It was also a great opportunity to play with the HDS and ipilot and learn how to get the most out of the new gear.

We managed to raise a couple of togas and then had a ball on the ultralight gear on fat and feisty tarpon :catch: . The whole billabong was alive with 30-40cm fish feeding on the surface about an hour before dark. There will be some very well fed barra in there this year!

Whilst creeping along one bank flicking in under the trees we came across one of the biggest crocs I've ever seen….it made my 4.8m feel small. We a calling it 5.5m plus and super wide and fat. A couple of his smaller relatives were also seen and one took an interest in our tarpon catch and release session. As the sun went down the mozzies and a million other bugs decended so we headed for home.

Half way to the Adelaide River (around 8pm) a very big dark coloured steer around 500kg decided to walk across in front of us at 1kph as we were doing 100kph. A lesson in paying attention when travelling top end roads at night. :sleep:

Catching fish is a bonus when fishing Corroboree….great sunset, lots of wildlife and we had the place to ourselves. :D

Tight lines and empty spools !
skotty74
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Look see at Corroboree

Post by skotty74 »

Great post!!! I'm thinking of taking the family out for a squiz soon also and having a bit of a look around myself :)
“The solution to any problem –work, love, money, whatever –is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be.” –John Gierach
newnavyfish88
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by newnavyfish88 »

Hey Smudge think I saw you as I was leaving (red polycraft). I fished from 7 till 2 for one toga and a handful of larger than average tarpon. You are right about the water level I too could hear the plenty of boofs on the flooded plains. Had a chat with one the guides, he said he dropped three good fish trolling at the rock hole.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

newnavyfish 88 yes we saw you too. I think its worth another look and we had a ball on the tarpon. Took some great photos but the files are way too big to post. Saw 2 guides coming out as we went in so the must know something :? ……better have a look at the rock hole next time :fishing:
Tight lines and empty spools !
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Hopefully it fishes better this year than the last couple!
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Should be a cracker of a year in their this year. Im tipping some big fish will come out of that billabong later in the year. Its been a couple of years since the fish have been properly able to get into their so my guess is they would have all moved up this year.
luke79
Seadog
Seadog

Post by luke79 »

How was the dirt section of the road in?
Wal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wal »

It was like bitumen on monday
luke79
Seadog
Seadog

Post by luke79 »

So no issues with a 2wd vehicle getting in there?
craig.g
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by craig.g »

Fished Hardies at Easter and that was similar in that too much water and fish were above bank & behind trees did not see togas or tarpon though

thanks for report
cheers Craig
newfisherman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by newfisherman »

Had a look see today, one legal Barra and one Saratoga and a good size croc hanging out near the boat ramp!
Jer
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Jer »

newfisherman wrote:Had a look see today, one legal Barra and one Saratoga and a good size croc hanging out near the boat ramp!
Newfisherman, you're not wrong about that croc! It is pretty big.

I stopped by on Friday to have a look. Here's a photo of the water level at the ramp and of the croc.

- Jeremy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

"Shoot it Liz! Shoot it!"
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

Nice report. Thanks for that.
... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{

My missus wants to buy me a GoPro...she said I need it... It's like a black box recorder for fishos...
Dex38
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dex38 »

Needs to drop a bit to push the fish off the plains.

Recent rain has held up good Corroboree fishing although it just means they get fatter chasing baitfish. :D

It should fire soon

Dex