4 Mile Hole

Barramundi, saratoga, sooties and more. For dam fishing, use the dam forums below.
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

4 Mile Hole

Post by Once Bitten »

Anyone been out to 4 Mile recently?? Looking at heading that way for an overnighter with a mate in the next couple of weeks and was looking at getting some feedback as to the road and launching conditions. I've heard that the 40 odd k's of dirt road can be shite and can destroy trailers... But the fishing is pretty good.

Anyone with a boat interested in tagging along? Thinking it would be safer in numbers and good to catch up with other FFF members.

... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{

My missus wants to buy me a GoPro...she said I need it... It's like a black box recorder for fishos...
Jer
Seadog
Seadog

Re: 4 Mile Hole

Post by Jer »

G'Day Once Bitten,

I went down to 4 Mile only just last weekend and for my first time too. From what I too had read, I was expecting the road to be quite bad. Surprisingly the road was in quite good condition. Except for the second creek crossing that still has water in it (but not much) and a slightly washed out section that's been filled in somewhat, the only thing to consider are the corrugations.

I didn't have a boat in tow, so can't talk to anything in that regard but the main launch spot looks fine. I ended up doing a bit a landbased fishing (as silly as it might sound to some). Landed one and dropped three barra. Largest was probably about ~50cm but I dropped that one. All were on weedless ZMan frogs or Squidy black/gold soft plastic.

There were quite a few boats there. Close to 8 or 10, I'd say. But I didn't get a chance to chat with any to see how they went.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

- Jeremy
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

Thanks Jer - 10 boats! Jeez... Is it worth taking a single axle 5.1 m plate boat that far on that road? I'm towing with a Lux. How deep and rough are the crossings? I want the adventure... Just without the headaches of any damage! How long is the dirt stretch to the hole? Previous threads rate the location pretty highly.

My missus wants to buy me a GoPro...she said I need it... It's like a black box recorder for fishos...
notsolucky
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by notsolucky »

Hey OB I went out there last weekend and we did ok, not hot fishing but we caught a few legal fish each day. The water crossing was fine in the hilux, just stick to the eastern side cause it looked like their was a good hole on the other side. It's 38km of dirt and the corrugations will test your trailer. I found hitting them fast did the trick and sat on 60km/hr most of the way. The ramps are fine.

We had the best luck flicking hardbodies and plastics right up into the pandanus. We had plenty of strikes on surface lures at sunset but the hookup rate was shockin. Even if you catch nothing it's a beautiful spot, just remember the mozzie dome!

Good luck
Visit us at www.flickandflyjournal.com for fishing articles, tips and recipies from across oz
itsinmeblood
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by itsinmeblood »

At night try in the middle of the bong near the house you can see through the gap in the trees, stick baits frogs poppers etc, had a couple of fun sessions spotlighting the bazz and casting at them after you douse the light a couple of years ago, the tinny boys did a yarn on this method as well from memory
fish are skinny, the ocean is fat
2 brothers fishing
Seadog
Seadog

Post by 2 brothers fishing »

Just got back from there and had a cracker of a time with about 17 legal and lost count of the smaller ones. Road is ok hobbit will put a post up later with photos
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

Thanks 2BF. Saw the post. Well done. What sized boat did you guys tow out? Sounds like I'll have to bright out some trailer spares. I have an alloy trailer which IOM reckons voids the warranty if taken off road... Anyone got experience in taking alloy trailers over sh..ty corrogations. How do they hold up?

hobbit
Seadog
Seadog

Post by hobbit »

Pm sent once bitten
hobbit03
Jackh
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Jackh »

Hey mate. Ive done the coburg road with my 5mtr plate boat and an ally trailer. The coburg road is about 160-200kms of the most knarley corrugations you'll see. My biggest tip is to drop your tyre pressures on the trailer and your car. I had my cruiser at 25psi and the boat at 21 psi. My mate had a brand new custom built trailer from a highly regarded trailer builder in town and he broke 3 leaf springs only because he didnt drop his tyre pressure and continued to run 50 psi over the corrugations. My ally trailer didnt have a problem. Dont be scared to thrash it they flex really good haha. Just go over every nut and bolt and make sure they are tight. Good luck
jtwalters
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by jtwalters »

Nice report mate! I has an old mate come up from down south and took him our for a fish on Sunday. I was thinking about heading to 4 mile but as we only had the day, I took him to Corroboree. We only landed 2 Saratoga..... should have taken him to 4 mile!
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

Thanks for the tip Jackh. Talking sense there...

mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

Ob, if you are looking at doing abit dirt road work it might be worth talking to George from nt unique metal fab. I was talking to they about these and he was saying with a few minor modifications they can be a great trailer.