Have you caught a ripe golden snapper, eg leaking milt/eggs?

Quiz FFF members on fishing and outdoors topics using the forum polling function

Yes
26%
No
74%

Total votes: 23

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Have you ever caught a golden snapper leaking milt/eggs? If so, was it deep or shallow reef?

Info might help identify spawning grounds that could be closed in season to protect breeders.

I've caught big fish leaking milt from South Gutter, from vague memory in October.

Was a good doco on TV about lutjanids that gather to spawn in one small area (somewhere overseas) in such numbers that it attracts whale sharks, which feed on the eggs.

DdTractorman
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Have you caught a ripe golden snapper, eg leaking milt/e

Post by DdTractorman »

We caught ours down the coast in close, 8 metres deep, early November neap tides
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Never really targeted them , UNTIL NOW.
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

nly ever seen them at the Mouth of the South in about 8 meters of Water. That was a long time ago now though
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

This just in from Qld, food for thought ...

Queensland Government - Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry - New moon brings fishing closures

Coral reef fin fish will be off limits from midnight this Tuesday 1 October, as part of the first of two annual closures that protect these fish during spawning season.

Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol acting district manager Geoff Fergusson said the closures were vital to protect fish at an important time in their life cycle.

“Closed seasons are vital to allow stocks to replenish to ensure there are healthy fish stores for current and future generations of Queensland fishers.

"After an extensive scientific review, two five-day closures each year for five years were announced in October 2009 to provide certainty and long-term planning for fishers," he said.

“This year, the first closure will run from midnight 1 October to midnight 6 October and the second from midnight 30 October to midnight 4 November.

Mr Fergusson said the dates for the closures changed each year depending on the new moon phases.

"The closures coincide with the new moon when key coral reef fish species aggregate to spawn,” he said.

"October and November have been found to be months of high effectiveness for closures to protect coral reef fin fish, particularly the key target species.

"Tropical snapper and other coral reef fin fish may be more susceptible to concentrated fishing when spawning and these closures help ensure the sustainability of the fishery.

"Fishers need to remember that they should not take and possess coral reef fin fish species during the closure period.

“Coral reef fin fish include cods and groupers, emperors, parrotfishes, sweetlips, wrasses, coral trout, fusiliers, surgeonfishes, tropical snappers and seaperches.

“A reef fish web guide is available online at http://www.fisheries.qld.gov.au to help fishers identify fish listed as coral reef fin fish.

Mr Fergusson said the Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol will be conducting regular patrols during the school holidays to remind fishers of the closures.

“Recreational fishers caught doing the wrong thing during the coral reef fin fish closure risk an on-the-spot fine of $440 and a maximum penalty of $110,000.”

The closures are in place from the northern tip of Cape York to Bundaberg in the south (the southern boundary is at latitude 24º50'S).

The eastern boundary of the closure is the same as the eastern boundary of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park.

Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Caught them at Lorna in 9-13m of water. Jizz everywhere
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Matt, do you remember the tides? Big or small? :angel:
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

I mainly see this during the build up months from most of the spots I fish,depths are between 10 and 20 mts.

You want the GPS points as well ??? Might get back to you on that,or not :lipsrsealed:
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

February is a big breeding time at Lorna IMHO. October and early November as well. I think they tend to breed every where around these times.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Crikey, sounds like they breed everywhere, shallow and deep, from build-up to run-off
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

south would have been buildup as well
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

Got. Jew tonight jizzed everywhere in the kill tank .. Wide of Charles point !
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

cuddlescooper wrote:February is a big breeding time at Lorna IMHO. October and early November as well. I think they tend to breed every where around these times.
Just looked at my fish diary and I saw it in March
JewieQueen
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by JewieQueen »

Not me personally have been there when my dad has. 2 of them from that little area in between mandorah and the charles.point lighthouse where that reef dries? think there is a coupla creeks along there to. Anyway they were in around 5 meters of water and both were released. I was only a silly teenager then and kicked.up a stink at the old.man about it, but now I definatly know why he put them both back. As for the time of the year.........NO Idea
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.

Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

“Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime”

"Soon after I embraced the sport of angling I became convinced that I should never be able to enjoy it if I had to rely on the cooperation of the fish."