Darwin port sold ... and Tasmania's largest dairy

Talk about bungled boat ramps, net buybacks, marine no-go zones, mining disasters etc here.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Darwin port sold ... and Tasmania's largest dairy

Post by Matt Flynn »

There was much controversy over the sale of Darwin port to China.

Now they are selling Tasmania's largest dairy to China ... http://www.news.com.au/national/tasmani ... cd77da2300

Legit foreign purchases, or a security risk, given China is a bit different from other countries?

Perhaps Aussies won't be able to afford milk in 10 years time, because the local stuff is exported to whoever pays the highest price ...

nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Darwin port sold ... and now our largest dairy

Post by nomad »

Yep. Weve flogged off all of our resources and left big holes in the ground.
Now we are flogging off the rest of the place.
In 10 years we will all scratch our heads and wonder what happened and why we cant buy any food etc anymore
Andy Grey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Andy Grey »

At least we won't have to buy anymore fighter jets to defend our country, China will supply them free for us to protect their interests. :) but unlikely the Government will put those billions to good use. Wonder what the political backhand was on this one to get it through the review board...

"Foreign investors wanting to buy farms worth $15 million or more will have to get approval from the Foreign Investment Review Board, but is that a necessary safeguard or deterrent to investment that plays racial politics." http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2015/s4183601.htm

And the Japanese keep killing whales in the name of science..
http:www.andrewgreyphotography.com.au
Andy Grey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Andy Grey »

mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

I think this is a bit of a storm in a tea cup.
It was owned and just sold by a newzealand company. No out rage there.
The other highest Australian bidder has a massive greens back ground. And had form of purchasing large company's like this, and gutting the company's selling off what ever they can over a few years and then turning them back to a wild life sanctuaries. I don't know where she \ they get their money, but they have done this in at least 2 other projects.
This farm only produces 1% of Australia's milk production.
And they can not take the land with them. Im not too sure what everyone is so worried about.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Exactly. we are literally selling the farms.
it wasnt that long ago when the major supermarket chains started producing the $1/l milk in an attempt to wipe out the farmers.
A fewm tassie producers tried to get their milk produced by places other than the chain owned mobs but that failed due to pressure.
So if we keep going the same direction, it wont be long until the only milk we can get is the uht stuff,
doesnt worry me but i feel for the kids.
Rug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Rug »

This country is being over run by spivs. Nothing is safe for the future these days.
Smile and the world smiles with you, fart and your all alone.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I think this is a bit of a storm in a tea cup.
It was owned and just sold by a new zealand company. No out rage there.
The other highest Australian bidder has a massive greens back ground. And had form of purchasing large company's like this, and gutting the company's selling off what ever they can over a few years and then turning them back to a wild life sanctuaries. I don't know where she \ they get their money, but they have done this in at least 2 other projects.
This farm only produces 1% of Australia's milk production.
And they can not take the land with them. Im not too sure what everyone is so worried about.

You may be right, but China is a very different country from NZ.
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

Yes, I understand that. But saying there was a suituation where there was a massive food / milk / anything shortage. People worry that if they own the land then they can just ship it off and let us starve. But if this was happening I'm sure the government would step in with legislation of some sort. So to get it they would have to invade our sovereignty . But if they owned the land or not, they would most likely be invading us if there was a shortage of anything, their people are starving and we were swiming in it.
And worrying about prices going through the roof, there's nothing stopping the Australian farmers selling to the Chinese market now. Yet I can go in to a servo and buy 2 litres cheaper than a 600 bottle of water. If there was some sort of world shortage and we had all Australian milk market, I'm sure they wouldn't be selling it to Coles for 15c per litre to keep it in Australia. They would be raking it in as the current beef farmers are doing.
When this does happen yes the profits will be going over seas, but they will be doing what every beef farmers is doing right now and pouring the profits back into their farms and re investing to get volumes up.

How ever I do think most of the government handled and communicated this issue very poorly, and could have explained things a lot lot better.
Andy Grey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Andy Grey »

I would think the Chinese wouldn't take too lightly to Australian companies buy up massive allotments of land in their backyard?
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

There's nothing stopping them, they have no laws that rules out buying their land.
Not to no sure why you would want too tho.
There's plenty of things the Chinese are doing to be concerned about, like how they are artificially keeping the value of their yuan (Chinese $) below what it should be so it is 3 times more competitive than the rest of the world at making everything.
They can not take it with them, they can not move here in bigger numbers that our government allowes them. If our government needed it back they have ways of doing so, just like if they needed your house block back they can (Theres a great documentary on this called "the castle" haha).
And what is happening in the South China Sea could be the start of something a lot more serious. China are saying no one is to come with in a certain distance or they will be shot down, or torpedoed.
Australia are talking about doing it, just to see what happens. Why in the world Australia what's to get involved with this fight is beyond me, let the japs and the yanks sort it out.
Crazy.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

When the fighting starts at least they know which port is friendly ... http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/a-pro ... 59827c3fd3
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Australia, isn't that a Chinese resource?
Or is it an American military base?
Oh wait, isn't that a British Prison?
Nah it's that island off the New Zealand coast.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

No, it's "Australia ... the Clever Quarry"
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

China is buying up all he resources to supply their own people as they don't have the resources themself in country to support their population.
Most of the gas and light crude here is already bought by them before it even comes out of the ground
A lot of the fruit and veg here is produced by asian consortiums
They differ from the yanks in that they pay or what they want. The yanks just have a war and take
The 3rd world war has already been fought and won.it was a monetary war and it went Chinas way
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present