Buffalo Creek changes

Talk about bungled boat ramps, net buybacks, marine no-go zones, mining disasters etc here.
skotty74
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Buffalo Creek changes

Post by skotty74 »

the secure facility got very popular while the road works were on and now seems more popular with the failed upgrades... maybe the intention was to force more people to use it and have to part with money? The prices seem to reflect the demand now as well, I don't know what it used to be but it never used to cost me 40 bucks to put in late Friday and back out first thing sunday before!!!

“The solution to any problem –work, love, money, whatever –is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be.” –John Gierach
semper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by semper »

went down for a look the other day. terrible outcome for everyone but the secure facility operator.
bodge007
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by bodge007 »

Agree semper. I would use the secure facility anyways, but I don't think people will have much of a choice.

The layout forces people to use it, although I am sure people will come up with some alternate parking solutions in the near future and then the council will start handing out fines left and right.

Not a good outcome and at all
Back Eddy

Post by Back Eddy »

I don't think there is anything wrong with the new facilities at Buffalo Creek for day trips. It's an improvement to what was there. Some of you get on here and cry about what is clearly an improvement to a facility that has design constraints and minimal land area to work with. We would all love a facility that a road train could turn around in but let's be realistic.

It doesn't matter how good the facility is, on overnight or extended trips why would you want to park outside the secure compound? $40 seems cheap insurance for your car, trailer and personal safety. The operators there take details of expected date/time of return, number of people on board and so no. I would rather pay the $40 than have to pay $300 to replace a window on my car.

We can all get on the bandwagon and blame the previous Government but let's see what this Government produces. One month in and two election promises broken, promised only 85 public servants would be sacked - to date 100 have gone, secondly promised a Moratorium on fracking and yet the current government is still allowing fracking exploration activities to proceed. The previous government were not perfect but I can bet a lot of you will be gearing up for this seasons Million Dollar Barra which is here to stay for the next 4 years.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

I agree the works should enhance the beauty of the area and I don’t think that anyone is upset that money is been spent improving the facilities for works which were necessary but constrained by many factors. Being an engineer I understand that all too well how different factors sometimes drive a design in the wrong direction and inevitably government promises win out over sensible design.

And there lies the problem. How will I reverse parallel park my 12m long vehicle and trailer into a 10m long car parking bay? I have two choices. Use the lockup for a day trip or hope to find two adjoining spaces I can use and then hope not to get fined for doing so. The combined length of my car and trailer is long but similar to many others who have a ute and 5m plus boat.

As for extended trips sometimes I use the facility, sometimes not and for various reasons. That should be a choice we get to make and it has its pros and cons. The difficulty in parking in the public spaces will push more demand onto the lock-up facility. As it stands there are many times they are already at capacity and there is a fair chance you will now need to book in advance to ensure a there is a spot available. That, in turn, will create false utilisation and make it harder to find a suitable park.

Long angled parking bays would have been a better solution and could have been contained in the space available. The public are upset because it is obvious that most people do not attain the necessary skills to achieve a reverse parallel park with a trailer and nor are the spaces large enough to facilitate half of the users.

It amounts to a poor design, one which might look great but can not perform its intended task, something that occurs far too frequently.
bodge007
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by bodge007 »

Not crying at all, just think that more thought was needed in the design of the facilities. Think it is great the money is being spent. Could have been spent better.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

You would think that there is a standard design for carparks so the engineers could just use the existing design specs instead of trying to redesign the wheel.
Its like the shopping centre car parks. I understand that there are limits on underground parking due to the positioning of columns but when new ones are set up, they are just a panel beaters love child. Way too narrow for todays cars (4wd)
Anyway, just get the dozer out and clear those pesky trees so those who cant drive and get into a marked parking bay
clearly not suitable for the intended purpose
rossco
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by rossco »

Lets not forget the fact that the secure facility will be gone once the new work is finished. Protection will be provided by CCTV and no one else. We know how effective that is! There is no point bagging the secure facility operator. They are providing you with a service and service costs money. It's less than the cost of a lure or a bag of pillies to know that you still have all the bits and pieces still on your car & trailer upon return.
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

G'day guys

I have talked to Dept of Infrastructure and NT Parks. What as Mess!

It was agreed the best solution for the current 10m parallel parking for boats and trailers was to remove the 10m line as the majority of boats and trailers are much large than this.

I understand that there will be three CCTV cameras on-site, located at the boat ramp, pointed down from the compound and from the turning circle back to the ramp.

The other issue that was raised recently was the lack of signage at the left and the right of the ramp in the designated boat preparation areas. This is resulting in fishermen parking their boats in the location, I believe a sign titled “ Boat preparation only, no parking” would be the best solution.

Still in shock that Gov failed to consult with anyone on this project
Rug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Rug »

tristan.sloan wrote:G'day guys

It was agreed the best solution for the current 10m parallel parking for boats and trailers was to remove the 10m line as the majority of boats and trailers are much large than this.

I understand that there will be three CCTV cameras on-site, located at the boat ramp, pointed down from the compound and from the turning circle back to the ramp.

The other issue that was raised recently was the lack of signage at the left and the right of the ramp in the designated boat preparation areas. This is resulting in fishermen parking their boats in the location, I believe a sign titled “ Boat preparation only, no parking” would be the best solution.

CLP legacy
Smile and the world smiles with you, fart and your all alone.
joesgotone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by joesgotone »

The guys at the secure parking have signed a new lease till Jun next year 2017. I am ap secure parking convert now. When you fish alone a lot it is hard to have your trailer too far away from the ramp.

Joe
how many is enough lures, rods and reels. Is there a magic number, considering you usually only catch 1 fish on a single lure on the one rod and reel your casting with.
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

Rug wrote:
tristan.sloan wrote:G'day guys

CLP legacy

Id be in shock if that gov did consult ...!

Ive never seen a poorer planed boat ramp/facility

:titanic:
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

What a Stuffed Up Design , Biggest waste of money .
Doesn't help when other boaties don't give a stuff where
they park . Every time I've been there the two spots for
boat rigging are taken up by Idiots parking their trailers up.
003.JPG
002.JPG
007.JPG
008.JPG
009.JPG
006.JPG
001.JPG

At least they blacked the undersize parking bay lines Tristen.
itsinmeblood
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by itsinmeblood »

Yeah they need to put a time limit sign on those spots, then go down and hand out a couple of fines
fish are skinny, the ocean is fat
Jeno
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Jeno »

Back Eddy wrote:I don't think there is anything wrong with the new facilities at Buffalo Creek for day trips. It's an improvement to what was there. Some of you get on here and cry about what is clearly an improvement to a facility that has design constraints and minimal land area to work with. We would all love a facility that a road train could turn around in but let's be realistic.

It doesn't matter how good the facility is, on overnight or extended trips why would you want to park outside the secure compound? $40 seems cheap insurance for your car, trailer and personal safety. The operators there take details of expected date/time of return, number of people on board and so no. I would rather pay the $40 than have to pay $300 to replace a window on my car.

We can all get on the bandwagon and blame the previous Government but let's see what this Government produces. One month in and two election promises broken, promised only 85 public servants would be sacked - to date 100 have gone, secondly promised a Moratorium on fracking and yet the current government is still allowing fracking exploration activities to proceed. The previous government were not perfect but I can bet a lot of you will be gearing up for this seasons Million Dollar Barra which is here to stay for the next 4 years.

Sounds like you are the one crying mate......you would have to be either blind or totally ignorant to not see that this is a total stuff up.....but somehow you managed to turn this into a complaint about the new government.....seriously....have a look at yourself! :banghead:
No matter where you go, there you are!