NT Boating Quiz

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
shaynes_god
Seadog
Seadog

Re: NT Boating Quiz

Post by shaynes_god »

OK now i dont get it just did it again and i get this question.
Sound signal are usually used by large vessels to indicate:
A) That they are at anchor.
B) Thier manouevring intentions
C) The vessel is experiencing mechanical difficulties
D) All of the above.
The answer is B according to the exam but i can tell you that both sound signals and shapes are REQUIRED to signal all of the above. Well thats my bitch over.

GoodLookinPete
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by GoodLookinPete »

24/25 That one on the channel got me, I still think I would cruise up the middle, the right hand bank has a number of snags, a rock bar and a mud bank a little further up if that diagram is of the place I'm thinking of.
Turtle
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Turtle »

Your a crack up Pete.
Fishing in the top end isn't just a matter of life or death, it's much much more serious than that.
Sister Ed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Sister Ed »

Hey Shaynes_god, what signal shape is required for manouvering, I thought was just blasting the horn
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

The shapes are mainly used on commercial ships. Have a look at the big stuff entering/leaving the harbour and you will see the shapes displayed on the highest point of the boat.
on a small boat you wouldnt have enough room for the esky or crab pots if you carried them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_shapes
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by grumpy »

Good stuff 23/25.

Doesn't hurt to do the test even if you get some wrong at least it gives you the correction. :clap:

SHOULD BE MORE OF IT. :fu:

What about if it became mandatory for you to have to do a test once a month to stay on the FFF :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
Brad the Lad
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Brad the Lad »

hey Shaynes_god, there is no sound signal for a vessel at anchor. imagine all the noise created by that. just sitting there blasting the horn all night at anchor. that would be crazy :)
fishing and beers,

wonder what the poor people are up to!!!
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Brad the Lad wrote:hey Shaynes_god, there is no sound signal for a vessel at anchor. imagine all the noise created by that. just sitting there blasting the horn all night at anchor. that would be crazy :)
This does change in foggy conditions where they can use a gong or ships bell (which is a sound device) while at anchor.

Not 100% the question is worded correctly and wouldnt be too worried about it.

If you dont know the sound signals for turning to port, Starboard or opperating astern propulsion the question isnt relivent any way. :bonk: :lol:
shaynes_god
Seadog
Seadog

Post by shaynes_god »

Thanks to those that have answered questions for me. I know that i'm being picky but don't like to do things in halves. And brad you can also sound signals and raise shapes when your aground imagine that at shoalbay on a 1m low.
c9h14n
Seadog
Seadog

Post by c9h14n »

Well I admit it. You guys/gals are more clued up than I. Just did it for the 9th time and got my best score, 3/25. I dunno much about all those lights, colours, horns, danger and stuff, but I keep getting the rubbish, washing dishes and not ramming sail boats bit right. The rest is just white noise, so I think I am missing something or I need to get a bigger and faster boat. Cos all those question seem to only affect people in small and slow boats if I am not mistaken. So the way I see it, is if I get a bigger boat and go as fast as i can, then I am in no danger, yeh. Even in small creeks I assume, so gee I have learnt a lot over the years from the people who actually need to do some of this training as part of their livelihoods.

I still say "if in doubt, just do what the pros do", and MattyA that does not explain what happened in the Kings Cross a while back....That was NOT a cardinal mark and more an isolated danger mark. But I missed that too.