what size blue water braid do you use?

Talk about the gear you can't afford and knots you can't tie.
sanigav
Gold Member
Gold Member

what size blue water braid do you use?

Post by sanigav »

Just bought some 30lb daiwa J braid which seems to be great quality for the price. have been using this strength to chase macks, tuna, and anything else that busts up on the surface with about a 60lb leader.. do you tend to use heavier?

AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: what size blue water braid do you use?

Post by AM »

54kg green Berkeley whiplash & 80 lb mono leader
fishfanatic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fishfanatic »

Blue water braid = 80 lb....was using 50lb for years but too many bust offs
'Take me drunk, I'm home"
Unknown

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth".
John F. Kennedy

"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum"
Adlai E. Stevenson

"We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship".
Forster, Edward

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"
George Orwell

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
by Anonymous
rumluck
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by rumluck »

40lb ebay braid for everything blue water. Only the leader changes depending on what im doing. X. Concentrate on good knots.. Learn the FG knot.
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

You will get better casting distance by staying below 30 pounds breaking strain. Try this knot first using 7 turns up, 7 turns down. Works better with a soft leader of 40-60 pounds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richieboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Richieboy »

Surface pelagics: 12-14lb braid and 40lb leader

Jigging (Trevs/Queenies): 20lb braid 40-50lb leader

Jigging blue water: 50lb braid 60-80lb leader
Mad KEEN!
harvey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by harvey »

80lb whiplash
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Jigging, 30lb and 40-60lb leader depending on the fishing

Casting 20lb and 60lb leader

Trolling 30lb and 80lb leader

Depends on the days, the weather and the bite, can make a big difference going a bit lighter if it's a slow bite.

Always fun whatever :-)
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Got 80lb whiplash on my TLD 20, but hardly use it anymore. Mainly fish 30lb these days. I'm running 30 on my new/2nd hand Saltiga 4000/hyper 3-5pe jig stick and I can put a whole load of hurt on it.

I think 30 is plenty in most situations, just use a long leader so it gets nowhere near the reef/wreck and a heavy drag setting.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

30lb on reef and 80lb on the wrecks with 5m of 100lb mono leader tied on for chaff resistance. You cant break 80lb braid unless it rubs on stuff. Then it is like cotton if it does.30lb with an fg knott is hard enough to bust off when you get snagged. I find i straighten more hooks or pull more snags off the bottom then i break off now days. 30lb is heaps of grunt in my opinion as long as the structure isnt overly big.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

cuddlescooper wrote:30lb on reef and 80lb on the wrecks with 5m of 100lb mono leader tied on for chaff resistance. You cant break 80lb braid unless it rubs on stuff. Then it is like cotton if it does.30lb with an fg knott is hard enough to bust off when you get snagged. I find i straighten more hooks or pull more snags off the bottom then i break off now days. 30lb is heaps of grunt in my opinion as long as the structure isnt overly big.
Probably right if your eyes are young enough to see and tie it. I'd i get one to hold I like to be able to bend the hook off the snag if it gets stuck. Oh and you can tractor beam the lemons straight up
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Yes AM, but i enjoy fighting the fish. I assume you are more into scull dragging rather then finess and playing out a fish. Lol. Either way i know your esky is usually full.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

cuddlescooper wrote:30lb on reef and 80lb on the wrecks with 5m of 100lb mono leader tied on for chaff resistance. You cant break 80lb braid unless it rubs on stuff. Then it is like cotton if it does.30lb with an fg knott is hard enough to bust off when you get snagged. I find i straighten more hooks or pull more snags off the bottom then i break off now days. 30lb is heaps of grunt in my opinion as long as the structure isnt overly big.
spot on. I used to go big but the razor gang still cut thru it like butter.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

cuddlescooper wrote:Yes AM, but i enjoy fighting the fish. I assume you are more into scull dragging rather then finess and playing out a fish. Lol. Either way i know your esky is usually full.
I don't mind playing the fish all day but I like to win at the end. The main thing is I can see the 110 lb stuff specsavers or not. :D Its only the lemons that get the hand on the spool job. Looks like your getting some sweet fish again this year pete.
fish4me123
Seadog
Seadog

Post by fish4me123 »

a better question how long is a fishing line
tight lines