Stainless steel braid

Talk about the gear you can't afford and knots you can't tie.
steveo183
Silver Member
Silver Member

Stainless steel braid

Post by steveo183 »

Who here has used stainless steel braid as a replacement for wire when fishing for macks? Every year me and a few mates head to Fraser Island in Queensland and run live tailor out from the beach chasing Spanish mackerel, due to the amount of sharks that also frequent these waters I've been trying to find ways of making the tailor appear as natural as possible in order to not spook the spaniards (I've heard they can be put off by wire) only tried it once so far so can't say for certain if its working. I can say from experience though that even 200lb monofilament leader doesn't stand a chance against those teeth..

Last year a 34kg Spanish was taken from double island not far from Fraser using live tailor on the beach. Unsure on what tackle was used though.

Keen to bring some up with me for live baiting in the harbour.

Anyone used this as a replacement for traditional wire leader? Feel like typing your experiences with it here?

mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Stainless steel braid

Post by mako »

Using a good size live bait the macks don't seem to mind the wire, i use 120 pound seven strand clear plastic coated, trolling lures is a different story.
blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by blw »

Never uad a problem with macks not taking baits or lures with 100lb wire.
steveo183
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by steveo183 »

Cheers guys, good to know. I'm always keen to try out different gear and techniques but the braid is a fair bit more expensive than wire so really only worth it if it improves the strike rate, which it sounds like it probably doesn't.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Multi strand wire has its benifits. For one it doesn't kink and snap like single strand wire can. If the fish are finicky they wont touch any thing so I don't see it making much different there and it usually comes down to changing tactics and trying to create reaction strikes rather then out and out feeding behavour.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

If a big mack comes in and swims around the baits, sometimes chucking a lure out and winding it in fast entices a strike.

If you get a little spotty or grey mack throw that out as a livie, the big spaniards love 'em.
mud.666
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mud.666 »

I got a heap of it if you want to try it pm me i will give you a few metres. If you want flexability get some without the nylon coating.
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

When I use to balloon for Spanish mackeral I would use 49 strand Toothy Critter wire
Lure fishing for them I would use 55-80 lb mono and would have a much better strike rate than wire and if one of the razor gang took your fish you wouldn't have to fight the b@st@rd for a couple of hours and loose valuable fishing time when the bite was on
Very rarely lost a fish on mono and lures except to sharks and cuda hitting swivels until we changed to black swivels
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present