Shimano Calcutta or something else?

Talk about the gear you can't afford and knots you can't tie.
Gilly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Shimano Calcutta or something else?

Post by Gilly »

G'day guys

Looking to spoil my self for Xmas on a new barra out fit.
I currently have a Ian miller barra raider combo and love it but was thinking that can be my spare.
I was thinking a Loomis GL2 crank bait or similar for the rod but I'm stumped on what reel to put on.
Would a Calcutta 400b or 200b be a good option?
Open to all suggestion
Cheers Gilly

deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Shimano Calcutta or something else?

Post by deepblack »

If you are just looking to troll a Calcutta is a good option, if you are looking to spoil yourself go the D series. The 200D is a lovely reel and is also much more capable when it comes to casting. As a bonus the fine mesh gearing in the D is smoother and more durable than the B series. If you do more casting than trolling go for a low profile. The new Curado I series is good as are either of the Chronarch series. Go see Ronald at Fishing and outdoor world and he will sort you out.
Cheers,
John.
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
madmortimer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by madmortimer »

I recently purchased a Daiwa Luna 103 and I love it, maybe a little small for trolling work but casts as good if not better out of the box than my Shimano Curado I which I've put uprated bearings in. If you can get a look at them they also look good in the 203/253 size which might be better for trolling.
Worth a look.

Cheers
Quinntreximon
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Quinntreximon »

Gilly I have used the calcuttas for 2 decades and never had a problem, still gotem. Barra, snapper, Jew, they will handle the lot and cast as good as any other reel. Can't go wrong. T Curve rods are also number 1 in my book.
swamp_donkey89
Seadog
Seadog

Post by swamp_donkey89 »

You can't go past the Daiwa zillion! A bit eay, but look after it and it will not dissapoit. I've had mine for 3 years and still smooth as new.
Old Mate
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Old Mate »

Calcutta's are great reels mate hold a nice amount of line and are good to troll with. Deep Black just serviced mine and put carbon drags in it for me and it is sweet now. For a rod if was going to spend the money your talking about go to fishing and Outdoor World and get yourself a ST. Croix. Same price a GLoomis but a lot better warranty. But it's all about personal preference at the end of the day.
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

Got both those outfits here GL2 200b and GL2 400b and both have stood the test of time and big fish
Upgraded with carbontex washers and better bearing but even standard they were great outfits,tough as nails
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

Mortimer is right the Luna is a lovely reel but it does require a bit more care than the Calcutta to get the best out of it. Anyone who knows me will tell you that I have a bit of a split personality when it comes to my reels, l love Daiwa when it comes to baitcasters but can't come at their spin gear. The opposite applies to Shimano, love their spin gear but I don't use their baitcasters. Unfortunately when it comes to Daiwa baitcasters I have to be a bit circumspect about recommending them simply because they do require more maintenance and care to perform at their best, BUT, if you look after your gear and get it serviced regularly Daiwa baitcasters cast rings around Shimano. And if you really want to be on the outer edge of the performance envelope get your hands on some Megabass gear. :twisted: You can blame me when your wife/girlfriend finds out. :rofl:
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
madmortimer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by madmortimer »

I don't want to start a big debate on the merits of buying locally vs OS but I got my Luna via the net for around $200. They are good value at that. The local shop wanted nearly twice as much.

I just got back on my chair after seeing the prices on the Megabass, Do they have enough bearings?? :shock:
samuel86

Post by samuel86 »

Go and have a play with the reels in store. Make sure you find something comfortable and fits in your hand. Also depends on what you plan to use it for, whether you want a low profile baitcaster or a larger overhead reel.
Have a look at the Calcutta 200D or the new Curado or Chronarch from Shimano.
I personally prefer Daiwa reels have a look at the budget Tatula or the T3 series or new TWS Zillion
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Luna are differently a better reel then the Calcutta in my opinion . A bit bias as I'm a daiwa man.

I think the 400 Calcutta is an overkill for most barra fishing. The 200 is the perfect alrounder size as it holds plenty of line for trawling but yet light enough for casting. I would go the 400 if you want to chase afew jewies on your combo as well. Casting all day with a 400 will be a challenge.
Gilly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gilly »

Thanks for all of the feed back guys.
It seems to me its a bit like the Toyota vs Nissan debate.
What ever feels good or you know is the right one to own.
Wll head down the shop and have a play with a few.
madmortimer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by madmortimer »

Hey Gilly don't buy the Nissan!
Gilly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gilly »

HahA too late mate! Always been a Toyota man but
My 4.2 patrol rides like a dream in the bush compared to my old cruiser
madmortimer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by madmortimer »

Oh dear me, another lost to the dark side!