Polarised Glasses - recommendations.

Talk about the gear you can't afford and knots you can't tie.
Rhet
Seadog
Seadog

Polarised Glasses - recommendations.

Post by Rhet »

Hi All

I'm thinking fathers day might be a good time to get a decent set of polarised glasses and as it's end endless world of brands and prices, I was hoping to get some recommendations from those that have put a few different pairs through their paces in order for me to make an informed decision.

I have only used $50 Bolle's for the past few years, and whilst they have been ok, I'm keen to go from 'ok' to 'great'!

Using google I can see I'm probably up for $200 odd for a good pair, and so what brands/features have you found to be 'great, fantastic, awesome'.

My only real preference is that they are as light as possible, which tends to lean towards plastic frames and plastic lens, but from what I can gather most top of the line types seem to have a glass lens which might not be too effective at reducing weight. Obviously at the end of the day I will be try before I buy but looking for a starting point at the moment.

Cheers, Rhet

wally gator
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Polarised Glasses - recommendations.

Post by wally gator »

G/day Rhet... i have had many types of ploarised sunnies and i recon spotters mate ,yes theY are a bit heavier being glass lense than the plastic jobs but without a doubt the best i have ever had and they dont seem to scatch either and have never fallen off my noggen couldnt recomend them enough.....
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Had a few over the years but found that Oakley make the best polarised. The glass spotters are good too but i found that didn't fit my boof head properly.

I won a pair of tonic from last years sea dog comp and found them great as well.
blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by blw »

Ive had a set of makos with glass lenses. They were great. But by far the best ive had were a brand called HDSpecs they make a lot of shooting glasses but the sunnies were unbelievable. Plastic frame and lens. Lifetime waranty against any damage. Old mate that sold them to me drove over his with his hilux infront of me. Not a mark. Come with floating lanard. Pity i didnt use it......

Sent from my GT-S6310T using Tapatalk 4
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

I have spotters but I prefer my brown/orange tinted polarised mako sunnies. They have a metal frame which you can bend tofit your head and dont trap sweat and fog up like my plastic framed sspotters. Way cheaper too
Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ben Jam »

I've had most and think mako are great, I've also heard tonic are good to.
----------------------------
-----------------------------
Rhet
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Rhet »

Thanks guys. From what I've read here and elsewhere, Tonic and Spotters get a good wrap although I'm keen to look into the HDSpecs as my glasses tend to get treated like a camp dog.
blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by blw »

Sorry its hdspex not specs.

Sent from my GT-S6310T using Tapatalk 4
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

I have owned a pair of Makos that are about 10 years old now. I have treated them bad, I just through them in the tackle box or bag when I am done and they are still in pretty good nick.
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

I just buy the cancer foundation ones,they block 100% UV rays and I loose 2 to 3 pair a year so I'm not too much out of pocket
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

Finding a comfy set is good but the colour seems to be the major thing you need to like a few mates have the really dark lens I have the spotters with the photo chromatic I think it's called lenses that change with the light and they aren't to dark later in the day and not to bright in the middle I think I have the copper coloured lenses rather than the grey charcoal colour ! So maybe try a few different colours as that's what will matter the most rather than style you will get used to !
MattyA
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by MattyA »

Oakleys can delaminate pretty quickly if you sweat a lot. Maui Jims or Spotters are good.

Matt
NTFizzer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by NTFizzer »

i like spotters but i think sun screen (or sweat?) can de-laminate the black paint off the plastic frame (after 2 years). Mine are a cross between black and clear plastic now but I don't care for the fashion aspect much. Would buy spotters again. Probably like my spotters more than my last sunnies (Mako).
Rhet
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Rhet »

I've had Oakleys before and found that the polarising film bubbles after a year, which seems to pop up on the net through various searches a fair bit.

I've been reading a bit about the photochromic and they seem to be the way to go.

I guess if I focus on a few of those reputable suggestions and then just find a pair that fit well and are comfortable then I can't go too far wrong.

Cheers
tikety
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tikety »

Been using Maui Jim for 10+ years fantastic glass lens sturdy frames, not cheap by any means but offer good warranty on frame faults etc