Polarised Glasses - recommendations.

Talk about the gear you can't afford and knots you can't tie.
craig.g
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Polarised Glasses - recommendations.

Post by craig.g »

Unfortunately mine .are prescription , still polarized but it costs every time i break or loose a pair plus couple weeks wait for new pair
All ways wear them strap things and make sure i put them away when it gets dark sometime beer makes this rule hard to adhere to at times

Cheers Craig

Rhet
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Rhet »

dannett wrote:What colour lens is best for fishing? I have used the grey ones predominately.
From the research I did, you can get right into the nitty gritty of lens colours depending on if you are in freshwater, estuary/rivers or blue water.

Copper or a variant of, seemed to be the most "general" colour for a broad range of conditions.
doors off
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by doors off »

I have used Bolle, Ray Ban, Oakley and a couple of other brands, ALL of the Polarised coatings deteriorate due to the sunscreen/sweat combo. I would not recommend any of them - they are meant for Snow Skiers who don't sweat. I have had a pair of Spotters for 18 months now, and they are still like new - fantastic glasses (yes they are glass lenses but they fit that well that they don't seem heavy at all). Some of my mates have Tonics and they are pretty happy as well. Stay away from Plastic lense polarised glasses - otherwise you will be replacing them really quickly.
Save the Tuna - Eat a Dolphin!
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

I have had Spotters, Oakleys, Raybans, and Bolle's and I have to say the Spotters were probably the worst of them with the added disadvantage of being bl..dy heavy. I know everyone loves them but I just can't see it. I now now have a set of Costas' with the green/brown inshore tint 580 glass and they are unbelievably good, I wouldn't even consider buying anything else now.
Cheers, :cheers:
John.
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
Lumborghini
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Lumborghini »

Tonic...
Lumbo,

If i'm too drunk to walk I'll rock the party on crutches...
dan444
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dan444 »

I've always found the bronze / gold colour the best. I'm on my second pair of spotters (halide one now) and I love em. I really liked the colour definition of the Tonic's but found the spotters sat on my muggin the best.

Either one will suit u well. Just make sure you get a head strap for them so u dont loose them over the side.
Crusty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crusty »

I'm on my 4th set of Spotters, the best lens for me is Penetrator, I have a pair of Halides but find them just a touch too dark for most of my fishing, my old penetrators are 10 years old and still going strong, the other colour I like are mirrored copper, cant beat Ausie made, btw all four of my glasses are still used on different days...one pair is 12 years old now and have been used daily from grinding fence posts (not recommended) to driving and fishing
Fly's Eye's..........hangin' out to fish!
doors off
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by doors off »

DeepBlack, I would be interested to hear why the Spotters were the worst. A genuine question, not having a go. I tried several different brands of sunscreen with each set, even researched their websites as to what they recommend - yet all of the big brands admitted that their Polarised coating clap out after 12months. I was lucky enough to win my spotters, I probably would not have bought a pair (though I will from now on) and they are in exceptional condition whilst using my normal sunscreen, sweating more and copping a lot of salt water.
Save the Tuna - Eat a Dolphin!
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Doors Off I had similar feelings to Deepblack about the spotters. I just didn't like them and thought the lens quality of my cheaper makos was better. Unfortunately I lost them the spotters though.

The durability of the makos been with the plastic lens has been great. They were a cheaper model, a little dark in the shade and I am sure there is better lens technology about today (they're at least 10 years old now).
Last edited by dannett on Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

If your serious but glass lens if not stick to cheap poop plastic !! No point having good plastic that doesn't last !
Are you referring to glass lens delaminating ??
Don't think they can ? Can they mine are going good even the pair I found that had been run over :)
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

Delamination and corrosion after 6 months on plastic lenses from first set of Spotters and tried to use the penetrators after this on the second set. Way too heavy, and the tint made my eyes hurt like you wouldn't believe. With the first set I had the arms had some metal on them that corroded in no time flat and looked like $h!t. Was in FOW talking to Ronald about it at the time (I must admit I wasn't being nice about it) and a bloke pipped up "We can fix that, I'm the rep", well mate it's been four years and I'm still waiting..... Anyway, the difference between the Spotters and the Costas is chalk and cheese, I make a point of letting guys with Spotters use them and there are now quite a few converts......
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
swamp_donkey89
Seadog
Seadog

Post by swamp_donkey89 »

Don't ever buy plastic lens glasses because they always scratch or wear o easily. Tonic and spotters make the bet gasses or fishing
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

High Rhet

I've got glass spotters and acrylic Mau Jims. The Maui Jims lost their coating and it turned into cloudy smears on the lenses making them unuseable. That may be the delamination effect people are talking about. If not, I'd be happy if somebody could give me a tip on how to clean the smears off. I've tried all the usual suspects.

The Spotters are heavy and I end up with a headache after a few hours. Maybe the glass on mine isn't neutral focus. But they're ok for a while.

I had some Ugly Fish sunglasses given to me in 2007. They are my go-to glasses still. I think they're acrylic but no scratches have appeared on the lenses. Great glasses.

Only problem is the width of the wing that goes back over the ears. Its a bit too wide and when I jam my hat down on my head when travelling in the boat, the wing is forced down onto the top of each ear. I end up with sore ears after every trip.

That's why I went to Spotters and many other brands. Looking for glasses with the narrowest wings. Maui Jim was the latest tryout. Excellent until I couldn't get the smudges off the lenses.

Am now back with the Uglyfish again.
Regards
Ronje
madmortimer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by madmortimer »

ronje wrote:High Rhet

I've got glass spotters and acrylic Mau Jims. The Maui Jims lost their coating and it turned into cloudy smears on the lenses making them unuseable. That may be the delamination effect people are talking about. If not, I'd be happy if somebody could give me a tip on how to clean the smears off. I've tried all the usual suspects.The Spotters are heavy and I end up with a headache after a few hours. Maybe the glass on mine isn't neutral focus. But they're ok for a while.

I had some Ugly Fish sunglasses given to me in 2007. They are my go-to glasses still. I think they're acrylic but no scratches have appeared on the lenses. Great glasses.

Only problem is the width of the wing that goes back over the ears. Its a bit too wide and when I jam my hat down on my head when travelling in the boat, the wing is forced down onto the top of each ear. I end up with sore ears after every trip.

That's why I went to Spotters and many other brands. Looking for glasses with the narrowest wings. Maui Jim was the latest tryout. Excellent until I couldn't get the smudges off the lenses.

Am now back with the Uglyfish again.
My Maui Jims are the same and have been from new, I have not found a solution either. Very disappointed in an expensive brand.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I've had acrylic Tonics in a script (Solo model) for two years or so and the rabbits are still crystal clear :mrgreen:

No problem with scratching and I treat 'em bad. Earpieces are thin and frames are sturdy but light.