Polarised Glasses - recommendations.

Talk about the gear you can't afford and knots you can't tie.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Polarised Glasses - recommendations.

Post by balou »

Rhet wrote:I've had Oakleys before and found that the polarising film bubbles after a year, which seems to pop up on the net through various searches a fair bit.

I've been reading a bit about the photochromic and they seem to be the way to go.

I guess if I focus on a few of those reputable suggestions and then just find a pair that fit well and are comfortable then I can't go too far wrong.

Cheers
I found that as well on my first pair of Oakley that I abused a fair bit. The salt water makes the polarised lense f.up. My current pair is 4 years old and I wash in fresh soapy water religiously after every fishing trip and they been excellent. Still reckon they have the best lense out of the ray ban, Maui, spotter ,mako, bolle, Annette and Pravda.

The glass ray ban aviators are great as well.

Gezzac
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Gezzac »

I have a pair of Tonic glass's. They are pretty good. I used to get the servo sunnies and since having these ones, i will defiantly not be going back to anything less then glass lenses. They make a big difference.
madmortimer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by madmortimer »

I have a pair of Maui Jim's and they seem to develop a film on the lenses and show every finger mark and bit of grime. Annoyed me from new. Great to use when clean .... it"s just keeping them that way. Bit pricey too.
Just my opinion.
tubbs
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tubbs »

I'm onto my second set of spotters, (ran over the first set) and cant recommend them highly enough. have just gone for the glass lenses that get darker the brighter the light gets. cant remember what they call them, some name that starts with a H, but I must say I thought my last pair were good, but these have really impressed me. under $300
madmortimer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by madmortimer »

tubbs wrote:I'm onto my second set of spotters, (ran over the first set) and cant recommend them highly enough. have just gone for the glass lenses that get darker the brighter the light gets. cant remember what they call them, some name that starts with a H, but I must say I thought my last pair were good, but these have really impressed me. under $300
Photochromic..... maybe?
madmortimer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by madmortimer »

Ah Hah! Halide!
Rhet
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Rhet »

It seems the photochromic lens is a must no matter which brand.
I'm off to do some shopping today!
Cheers for the constructive comments.
NathanL
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NathanL »

appears my last comment got deleted (?) anyway, i have tonic sunnies and they are great, I don't treat them that well and they have stood up very well. I didn't pay for them so i don't feel biased about them - i would rate them over spotters.
Wombles
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Wombles »

Spotters for me... best sunnies i have ever owned...Australia made too
Life is like a box of lures...you never know which one to pick!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FuZTJol4K0
freddymuluka
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by freddymuluka »

You can't go wrong with Spotters or Tonic. It's been documented the guy who started Spotters went on to create Tonic sunnies.

The lens you guys are talking about that goes light when its dark and dark when its light are the Penetrator lens. And yes they are brilliant in low light conditions.

I also have the Halide lens as well which apparently are indestructible :bonk:

Thumbs up for both :mrgreen:
Rhet
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Rhet »

For those interested, after trying brands, frames, styles etc etc, what I have settled on are the Spotters 'Pivot' with Halide lens.

This frame sat on my face the best and even with a glass lens where pretty light.

Thanks all.
barratrooper1
Seadog
Seadog

Post by barratrooper1 »

Hope you're happy with the sunnies mate. What I've found over the years. 1. The arms of the frames hurt the top of my ears when wearing a hat, go for thinnest arms on the frame you can find.
2. Find a pair that don't slide down ya nose when you look down. 3. Find a pair that sit just a bit off ya for head, hate sweat running down the inside of the lenses.
Two brands that fit my bill, are serrengehtis, and Maui Jim's.
Cheers dave
Rhet
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Rhet »

The main test for fit was to put them on, bend over with head down (simulate leaning over side of boat releasing a fish) and give head a moderate shake. if they stayed in place pretty well they went on the short list. Many different styles slipped straight off.
But for added insurance I got one of these too http://www.saveyoursunnies.com.au/products/h2o-floating
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

I've used spotters for ages. They suit me the best.
The floating strap is a must. I've had plenty of glasses fall/blow off even while travelling along. Turn your head and they are gone
PS –don’t wear them while you’re doing fibre glassing thinking that they are cheap safety goggles. :bonk:
The resin doesn’t come off the lenses.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

What colour lens is best for fishing? I have used the grey ones predominately.